Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fine scratches in 2014 Blackened Cayenne SGS paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014 | 10:51 PM
cash64
|
Tourer
Default Fine scratches in 2014 Blackened Cayenne SGS paint

Well I finally did it...purchased a brand new Street Glide instead of buying a used one like My first post some time back said I was going to do. The Rushmore Project sold me and I couldn't be happier. However I need some help. I am beginning to see fine little scratches in the paint after only 1000 miles on it that were not there before. How do I get them off? Prior to this happening I meticulously researched what to do/not do regarding keeping the finish free of fine scratches between washes (hasn't even needed its first wash yet) but low and behold there they are. It's like a bad dream or something. I have only used clean microfiber towels (sometimes 3 at a time as to not wipe any dirt residue back on the paint) with products like BUGSLIDE and HD cleaning products in the complimentary travel kit the dealer gave me. I understand dust particles etc....could cause this but I have not allowed any dirt or bug guts to be rubbed in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-12-2014 | 12:01 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Your post didn't belong in the "New Members Area".
It's for introductions. So it was moved in one of the other forums.

Old 09-12-2014 | 12:14 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member

Use a good polish instead of just bugslide or the other between wash/wax cleaners. Those preps just remove dust and light dirt. You will always get fine scratches no matter what. After washing and drying, apply liquid polish with the supplied foam applicator, then rub off with the microfiber cloths. I wash them before first use and after each use thereafter. When rubbing out the paint most of those scratches will disappear.

If you get heavier scratches use one of the scratch remover liquid polishes. I use Meguiars Gold Class for polish and the same brand for scratch remover and between wash spray cleaner.

Old 09-12-2014 | 01:24 AM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior

Any high end brand of paint 'swirl/scratch' liquid will work.

Old 09-12-2014 | 07:42 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I have two black bikes that are virtually scratch free (2002 and a 2007). I use Poor Boys Black Hole and Blackfire. The Blackfire is very expensive but worth every penny. I ordered both from Autogeeks.com

Depending on how bad the scratches are these products will make the scratches disappear and make the bike look like its wet. They also repel most bugs and other crap.

Old 09-12-2014 | 07:49 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member

find your local body shop supply place and get some swirl remover

apply by hand

http://3mcollision.com/3m-perfect-it...ish-06064.html

Old 09-12-2014 | 08:35 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior

Had a funeral director once tell me that the way he eliminated swirls on his black hearse was to sprinkle a little corn starch on the wax before rubbing it off. Try it. It works.

Old 09-12-2014 | 09:14 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Neggy ZRXOA 5248
find your local body shop supply place and get some swirl remover

apply by hand

http://3mcollision.com/3m-perfect-it...ish-06064.html
Yep, get the real stuff, no coverup,fillup the scratch with stuff that will only wash off so you can apply more. the perfect-it will "remove" the scratches and you can use #3 and get rid of the Halo effect too.

Old 09-12-2014 | 10:38 AM
bigdog81
Intermediate

Two products Zaino Bros and nothing but 100% cotton towels. Some microfibers can scratch.

Old 09-12-2014 | 10:41 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Red face

if your bike was built in the last three months leave the paint alone it is not cured fully yet. My blackened cayenne sunglo finish I noticed was very soft for the first three months.

wait three months at least then I would start using a very pure wax. Things like swirl remover ( which I have used ) are best left to pro's or experienced users. I would not recommend any product that removes surface finish on your paint really for at least a year or so. When new, I used a coat of real paste carnuba wax on my bike for a protective finish. You can buy this paste wax from Lexus dealers.

If the scratches don't disappear with wax then try something like mothers liquid carnuba cleaner wax "safe for clearcoat" gently applied or maguires body scrub "safe for clearcoat". Something is scratching your finish like maybe keys hanging or something rough you wear or your passenger wears.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Fine scratches in 2014 Blackened Cayenne SGS paint