Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fine scratches in 2014 Blackened Cayenne SGS paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014 | 12:47 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member

Well, my first reaction is to say nothing stays new forever, if ya use it, it's gonna get signs of wear and personality, don't get all frantic about it. That said, I use Meguiar's Black Wax that has a little abrasive in it, works well for me, but at the same time, I'm not concerned about a brand new from the showroom finish...got other things to fret about. But I'll recommend that wax to the OP...

The cornstarch trick is a time honored method for machine buffing out finishes... it's the last material you lay on and buff out...very effective, takes care of the swirls...not certain how it would work by hand, worth a try, but if you haven't machine buffed before, I don't think I'd try that on one of these very thin clear coats that they typically lay on OEM finishes...When I paint clear coats, I lay down at least two thick coats, maybe three, no problems with buffing thru those.

Old 09-12-2014 | 05:02 PM
cash64
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Your post didn't belong in the "New Members Area".
It's for introductions. So it was moved in one of the other forums.
Thank you for correcting my rookie mistake

Old 09-12-2014 | 05:10 PM
cash64
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Guntoter
Use a good polish instead of just bugslide or the other between wash/wax cleaners. Those preps just remove dust and light dirt. You will always get fine scratches no matter what. After washing and drying, apply liquid polish with the supplied foam applicator, then rub off with the microfiber cloths. I wash them before first use and after each use thereafter. When rubbing out the paint most of those scratches will disappear.

If you get heavier scratches use one of the scratch remover liquid polishes. I use Meguiars Gold Class for polish and the same brand for scratch remover and between wash spray cleaner.
So the liquid polish you are talking about is the "Meguiars Gold Class " for in between washes or you use something else? Also could you expand on the foam applicator? I'm not sure I get that part.

Old 09-12-2014 | 05:17 PM
cash64
|
Tourer

Thank all you guys for the great advice. I do think with my limited...uh very limited knowledge - of buffing I, will stick to the hand rubbing products and swirl removers. Funny, I've used the Bugslide on my fairing with no scratching at all, but used it on my right saddle bag that was a little dusty and that's when I noticed the hairline scratches. Was not aware of the 3 month rule of paint curing but makes perfect sense. Think the bike was manufactured in April or May of this year.

Old 09-12-2014 | 06:34 PM
PhatTerry
Banned

Get a porter cable orbital buffer/sender and some high quality pads. Use 3M M105 and M205 compounds and you'll be amazed at the results. Orbital polishers are very forgiving and hard to mess up.

Check the following website for loads of videos and how to's:

http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html