Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1,000 service

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:20 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1,000 service

What really is done at the 1,000 mile service ?

I have all tools required - need service manual - back order for 2 more weeks..

Old 04-09-2007, 07:26 PM
skinhead
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1,000 service

Just got mine done on my '07 Ultra . I didnt bring it to the Harley Shop , I went to an Independent. (Someone that I trust) , But they go through your drivetrain, brake system , and grease up everything. I recommend that you go all synthetic oils. It will quiet down those engine noises and run cooler.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

skinhead,

I agree with you on everything, except the use of synthetic oil at the 1k service. Synthetic oils do provide excellent protection. But, that feature also has a backlash. Putting this oil in at 1k, service is premature because the piston rings may not yet set. This means the oil will find its way past the rings and get into the combustion chambers. Thus, cause carbon build up and premature detonations in the future. I would suggest that you wait until after at least 3000 miles (under the regular oil) before going sythetic.

ORIGINAL: skinhead

Just got mine done on my '07 Ultra . I didnt bring it to the Harley Shop , I went to an Independent. (Someone that I trust) , But they go through your drivetrain, brake system , and grease up everything. I recommend that you go all synthetic oils. It will quiet down those engine noises and run cooler.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry Kahuna, gonna have to disagree on the synthetic at 1K. This is old school thinking. Gee if this were the way it really is, Chevy would not sell the Coprvette with synthetic in it, nor would Porche, Volvo, Volvo Marine...and I even think, check me if I'm wrong, the V-Rod comes with synthetic from the factory with 0 miles.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the service manual. You can do everything yourself, it's easy and fun. HOWEVER... the drive belt adjustment cannot be checked correctly without a special tool and cannot be adjusted unless you have another special tool or take off the RH muffler. You'll need help holding the bike vertical for the trans and primary drains unless you have a lift or stand.

A good tech will go through the entire bike (takes him alot less time than you and me, he does it for a living), tire pressures, critical bolts etc.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For a small fee I will make copies and send you the pages.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh check www.surdyke.com www.chicagoharley.comthey may have the manual in now and it will be 20% off.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:42 AM
Snobal
Tourer

ORIGINAL: trackadaptor

What really is done at the 1,000 mile service ?
A fluid change - if you are lucky. If you are really lucky, a fluid change without them screwing up your bike.

If you are truly fortunate, the tech may actually do the stuff in the service manual. In that case, it is worth the money to have it done because your bike will feel like a new bike after each service.

In over 40 years of riding, I've known several motorcycle techs that actually didthe required work.Seems to be getting harder to find them now........

Good Luck with getting the service manual. Then you will know that the work was done

Old 04-10-2007, 12:41 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got it:

There are threelevels ofregular maintenance. *They are:
[/align]

Quick Service
Full Service
Major Service

[ul][*]Change engine oil and filter.[*]Inspect air cleaner, service as required.[*]Checkrear belt adjustment.[*]Inspect transmission lubricant.[*]Inspect primary chain adjustment.[*]Inspect brake pad linings and discs for wear.[*]Inspect oil lines and brake system for leaks.[*]Check, adjust operation of enrichener, throttle control.[*]Inspect fuel valve, lines and fittings for leaks.[*]Check operation of all electrical equipment & switches.[*]Check battery and clean connections.[*]Check tire pressure and inspect tread.[*]Road test.[/ul]

[ul][*]Change engine oil and filter.[*]Inspect air cleaner, service as required.[*]Change primary chaincase lube and clean drain plug.[*]Check and adjust rear belt.[*]Adjust primary chain.[*]Clutch adjustment.[*]Change transmission lubricant and clean drain plug.[*]Inspect brake pad linings and discs for wear.[*]Check brake fluid reservoir levels and condition.[*]Inspect oil lines and brake system for leaks.[*]Lubricate front brake hand lever, throttle control cables, clutch control cables (and hand lever), rear brake pedal bushing (if applicable).[*]Check steering head bearings.[*]Check, adjust operation of enrichener, throttle control.[*]Inspect fuel valve, lines and fittings for leaks.[*]Check operation of all electrical equipment & switches.[*]Check battery and clean connections.[*]Inspect spark plugs.[*]Check tire pressure and inspect tread.[*]Check wheel spoke tightness.[*]Lubricate hinges, latches - fuel door, tour-pak, saddlebags.[*]Check tightness of all critical fasteners: hand controls, brake system, axle nuts, front fork components, riser and handle bar fasteners.[*]Check engine idle speed.[*]Road test.[/ul]

[ul][*]Change engine oil and filter.[*]Inspect air cleaner, service as required.[*]Change primary chaincase lube and clean drain plug.[*]Check and adjust rear belt.[*]Adjust primary chain.[*]Clutch adjustment.[*]Change transmission lubricant and clean drain plug.[*]Inspect brake pad linings and discs for wear.[*]Check brake fluid reservoir levels and condition.[*]Inspect oil lines and brake system for leaks.[*]Lubricate front brake hand lever, throttle control cables, clutch control cables (and hand lever), rear brake pedal bushing (if applicable).[*]Lubricate jiffy stand.[*]Lubricate and adjust steering head bearings.[*]Check, adjust operation of enrichener, throttle control.[*]Inspect fuel valve, lines and fittings for leaks.[*]Clean fuel tank filter screen.[*]Check operation of all electrical equipment & switches.[*]Check battery and clean connections.[*]Change spark plugs.[*]Check tire pressure and inspect tread.[*]Check wheel spoke tightness.[*]Change front fork oil.[*]Repack rear fork bearings (if applicable).[*]Adjust springer rocker bearings.[*]Check tightness of all critical fasteners: hand controls, brake system, axle nuts, front fork components, riser and handle bar fasteners.[*]Lubricate hinges, latches - fuel door, tour-pak, saddlebags.[*]Check engine idle speed.[*]Road test.[/ul][/align]
[hr]
How often do I need which kind of service?[/align][/align]Harley-Davidson specifies maintenance requirements as follows.
[hr]
[/align][/align]

2003 andEarlier

1,600 km
4,000 km
8,000 km
12,000 km
16,000 km
20,000 km
24,000 km
28,000 km
32,000 km

[blockquote]
Initial Service
Quick Service
Full Service
Quick Service
Full Service
Quick Service
Full Service
Quick Service
Major Service[/blockquote]
Repeat from 4,000 km interval.
[center]2004 and L

Old 04-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Darryl88
Road Captain

[quote]ORIGINAL: Dave_E

Sorry Kahuna, gonna have to disagree on the synthetic at 1K. This is old school thinking. Gee if this were the way it really is, Chevy would not sell the Coprvette with synthetic in it, nor would Porche, Volvo, Volvo Marine...and I even think, check me if I'm wrong, the V-Rod comes with synthetic from the factory with 0 miles.
[
/quote]

I agree you can run synthetic right away

Quick Reply: 1,000 service