Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Steve Rice
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird issue

2006 SG stage one, dyno tuned, when riding normally the tach/speedo signals and horn cut out. It happened for my buddy and it turned out the 15 amp acc fuse was blown, replaced fuse, went for a ride, and speedo/tach are out again, also signals and horn. It happened again after hitting a rr crossing at 60 mph...not sure if its caused by the horn or the bump...anyone got any ideas where to start looking?

Old 09-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

It's a blind hunt. Some wire has obviously rubbed its insulation off or been pinched and is laying on something grounding out over bumps. I'd check the obvious rub points. Look inside the switch housing, look in the handlebars switch housing "c -clamp" for pinched wires in it. I'd save pulling the tank for last.

Stay tuned for better solutions than mine but without a wiring schematic it's a visual rub hunt. Even with the schematic it's still a visual hunt.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:36 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

You are going to need a service manual with the proper wiring schematic to see what cicuits the blown fuse powers.Then its a process of elimination of unhooking cicuits untill fuse stops blowing.You might be lucky and find a wire that is chaffed causing the problem.If handle bars have been replaced,I would start where the switch wiring exits the bars into the fairing.Good luck

Old 09-09-2014, 11:23 PM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

bad ground wire in the harness--a service manual will help you find the correct wire to attach another ground to in the harness --

Old 09-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Steve Rice
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just to update y'all, turned out the lowering kit combined with the bladders being shot in my stock air shocks caused the tire to rub the wiring in the fender, and that was shorting against the fender...which also led me to new tires and a new stop light switch in the master cyl....ugh...time for coil overs.