Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strut covers for 4 pt docking hardware?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 07:47 PM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Strut covers for 4 pt docking hardware?

I am putting part 54205-09A 4 pt docking hardware on my 2010 EG Classic What do you use for strut covers? Are there specific covers for that use? If so does anyone have that part #. I see nothing in the catalog referring to them when ordering the docking hardware and it certainly can't fit over the stock. A little help please.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:04 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you removed the tour pack and mounting bracket, your current strut covers will have the slots where the bracket came out. Seems like I just used street glide strut covers on mine. Those don't have the slots since they don't come with a tour pack. You can generally find these in our classifieds or on ebay.

Here's a lesson I learned when I switched my EG slotted covers for some non-slotted covers. I didn't realize that the tour pack bracket provided a small amount of stand-off between the strut cover and the rear fender. When I tightened the new strut covers, the cover actually dug into my rear fender paint a small amount because of the difference in spacing. Luckily I was paying attention while tightening it, so the damage was minimal. I had to remove the cover and put several small washers between the strut cover and bolt hole. Sorry, but I don't remember how many washers I used. I just kept adding them until the spacing and amount of stand-off was even at both mounting points.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:08 PM
All Aces
Road Master

Thanks, on mine the holes don't line up on the side of the cover. Did you drill the covers?

Old 09-08-2014, 08:26 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master

Originally Posted by All Aces
Thanks, on mine the holes don't line up on the side of the cover. Did you drill the covers?
No drilling required on the street glide covers. Now that I'm thinking about the installation, it does seem like I remember thinking that my new strut covers would not fit either, but I seem to remember that I had to remove a bolt in order for them to fit. Seems like the docking brackets used a bolt that replaced the one I had to remove. Try your bracket again and see if there's a bolt under one of the mounting holes that can be removed.

Sorry I don't have clearer instructions. I did this installation about 2 years ago.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:26 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by All Aces
If you use your stock cover you will need to drill new holes. If you use the Street Glide covers you don't have to. You also shouldn't need any type of spacers as the 4 point docking hardware has the spacers on the side plates.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-c...ts/-J04752.PDF

Ok maybe there are washers behind the 4 point...don't remember but the instructions call for em.

Last edited by craigffb; 09-08-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:33 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master

Originally Posted by craigffb
If you use your stock cover you will need to drill new holes. If you use the Street Glide covers you don't have to. You also shouldn't need any type of spacers as the 4 point docking hardware has the spacers on the side plates.
The spacers I used were between the strut and strut cover. Since I replaced the covers a few months before adding the docking brackets, I could have removed the washers once I added the docking bracket... I don't remember. Either way, it's a good idea pay attention to the stand-off spacing as you tighten everything down.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:43 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenGlide
The spacers I used were between the strut and strut cover. Since I replaced the covers a few months before adding the docking brackets, I could have removed the washers once I added the docking bracket... I don't remember. Either way, it's a good idea pay attention to the stand-off spacing as you tighten everything down.

I don't remember putting the spacers in either, but they do show them in the instructions.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:49 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master

See if this video will help with a visual on the installation.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:54 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master

OK... after doing some searching for my old post, I realized the additional washers/spacers were needed only when I put the original slotted strut covers back on. The extra washers should not be needed with a non-slotted street glide cover since it never had a tour pack bracket to begin with. Sorry for the confusion. My original post text is below.

"Here's a lesson I learned in the process. After removing the tour-pack and bracket, I reinstalled the original slotted strut covers while my solid replacement covers were being powder coated. I didn't realize that the tour pack mounting bracket provided additional space to keep the strut covers off the fender. When I tightened the bolts without the tour-pack bracket, the strut cover dug into my fender paint. Luckily I noticed it before there was much damage. I had to use several flat washers behind the strut cover to act as a stand off to keep the cover from digging into the fender. I just kept adding washers until the gap between the strut cover and fender was the same at the rear as in the front. Seems like it was 4-5 washers."

Old 09-08-2014, 09:00 PM
All Aces
Road Master

Originally Posted by ZenGlide
See if this video will help with a visual on the installation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG2cQJ955Jo
It looks like he has an extra hole in his cover. I looked at the SG covers and they have the same hole pattern as mine. If that one hole is the only difference I can drill.

Quick Reply: Strut covers for 4 pt docking hardware?