Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob not working - Not your typical issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 09:01 AM
jokerjoed
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob not working - Not your typical issue

2011 FLHTK - I noticed over the past week or so, that sometimes when I go to start my bike, it would not start. I would hear the typical noises you hear when turning the bike to on, but after a second or so, the lights would start flashing and pressing the start button wouldn't work. I just though it was a low battery in the key fob

So today, I figured it was time to change the battery before I leave for a long trip tomorrow. Took the current battery out and put it on a volt meter, 2.97v, looks good, but changed the battery anyway and went back the the garage. As I approached the bike I noticed the red key was flashing, looks good, right. Turned the bike on, typical noise, then flashing lights...WTF. Turn the bike back off, lights stopped flashing after a few seconds and the red key was back on, turn the key back on, typical noise, flashing lights. If I hit the start button soon after turning the ignition on, it would start, but I typically wait until the fuel pump has completed its cycle.

At this point, I thought it was another, in a long list of electrical issues. After some research online and not finding a resolution I thought I better try my spare key fob before calling and bittin' once again to the dealership.

My spare key fob works fine, it turns out to be an issue with the key fob.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:04 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

.......interesting....not sure what it might be but i think i would start using the spare and take stop by the dealer when you get a chance and see what they might have to offer on the problem.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Sometimes in a parking lot if I'm to close to some other vehicle with a strong similar type of signal, The signals get scrambled. I'll roll back a bit and it's ok.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:46 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Push it about a block or so same thing happened to me by the Fed.Court house downtown it's a hard thing to do but it started right up

Old 09-07-2014, 12:06 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,367 Likes on 2,541 Posts

Originally Posted by TWIN CAM 96
Push it about a block or so same thing happened to me by the Fed.Court house downtown it's a hard thing to do but it started right up
instead of pushing your bike a block down the road, why not just use the override pin code? it's a lot easier to push with your thumbs besides, what if you got a block away, and it still wasn't far enough? how far are you willing to push?

Old 09-07-2014, 02:32 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

yes, OP- set and know your PIN code !

sources of radio frequency such as other bikes, speedpass etc can confuse the system...

move the bike from the RF source and voila it works

I had my alarm start chirping running 75 MPH next to another HD- wacky huh?

mike

Old 09-07-2014, 04:04 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by jokerjoed
My spare key fob works fine, it turns out to be an issue with the key fob.
Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
Sometimes in a parking lot if I'm to close to some other vehicle with a strong similar type of signal, The signals get scrambled. I'll roll back a bit and it's ok.
Originally Posted by TWIN CAM 96
He reports his spare fob works fine, so it isn't any type of interference.
And there is no way in hell I would push a touring bike a block or so. LOL

Use the pin over ride code if needed. No type of interference will block that.

Originally Posted by skratch
instead of pushing your bike a block down the road, why not just use the override pin code? it's a lot easier to push with your thumbs besides, what if you got a block away, and it still wasn't far enough? how far are you willing to push?
+1

Originally Posted by mkguitar
yes, OP- set and know your PIN code !

sources of radio frequency such as other bikes, speedpass etc can confuse the system...

move the bike from the RF source and voila it works

I had my alarm start chirping running 75 MPH next to another HD- wacky huh?

mike
Yes, learn how to start your bike without having a working fob now.
It will one day save you a lot of frustration!

But since he mentions his spare fob works just fine, he isn't have any kind of interference issue.

More likely the battery (even if new) is bad in the main fob.
Or he put it in upside down.

Last edited by RollaMo; 09-07-2014 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-07-2014, 04:34 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 418 Likes on 190 Posts

Was the new battery installed correctly in the original fob? Was the new battery tested? I had a problem a few months ago and put a spare battery in and still didn't work. A buddy gave me his spare battery and all was good. I tested my spare later that day & it was dead.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:35 PM
turnerbend
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

You could have a weak FOB that is getting interference from your cellphone. Be sure your phone is at lease 6" from your FOB.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:08 PM
exracer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At my dealership there is a cell tower fairly close by and they commonly have starting issues on the property. When it happens, they move the bike 5 or 6 feet and it starts.

Kevin
14 Limited

Quick Reply: Key Fob not working - Not your typical issue