Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 01:28 PM
sixgun95
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Bluetooth Helmet

Any recommendations for a bluetooth helmet that works well with the OEM bluetooth setup? I see J&M has one, any other recommendations?

Prefer a helmet already integrated with the bluetooth as opposed to adding one to my existing helmet.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,149 Likes on 3,670 Posts

Check with Sierra electronics, they sell A bunch of brands...www.sierra-mc.com

Old 09-06-2014, 02:20 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

We have Schubert helmets, who make their own Scala-based add-in installation. Works fine both on-bike and bike-to-bike, but I haven't used it with a recent Harley system.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My understanding is they will not work with the infotainment system.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:17 PM
sixgun95
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Afdharley
My understanding is they will not work with the infotainment system.
Wrong - it will. At least on the 15's, can't speak for the 14's.

Voice Recognition, Bluetooth
The Boom!™ Box 6.5GT gives you voice recognition for hands-free operation of your mobile phone, navigation system and music. It’s also Bluetooth capable. Whatever you want, just say the word. Whether it’s directions to the next gas station, a call back to the office you’re not at today or a song that fits the stretch of road you’re on, it’ll be served up without missing a beat.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Afdharley
Road Master

Unless they did change things for the '15s.
Mine will Bluetooth connect my phone but the whole system will not Bluetooth to another device.
Good luck

Old 09-06-2014, 03:54 PM
Cmdixon
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a BiLT Bluetooth helmet. Works great and can be linked to another helmet for intercom. Under $200

Old 09-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Afdharley
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cmdixon
I use a BiLT Bluetooth helmet. Works great and can be linked to another helmet for intercom. Under $200
Does it work with the '14-'15 bikes?

Old 09-06-2014, 06:39 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Afdharley
Does it work with the '14-'15 bikes?
This thread is relevant to my interests.

Really pisses me off that, at least previously and has been discussed thoroughly here, "standard" Sena, Nolan, etc. have been useless with the HD Infotainment box, and that audio in/out still required a cord. Many of had hopes that a software upgrade would fix this, but it was explained in another thread that was a hardware issue.

If they changed the hardware in the '15 bikes, or there as been a software change (think the latest is 1.18 or whatever) I'd really like to know about this.

Reference this:<<jacked up hdforums won't let me post a link to another forum text below>>

---
Why your BlueTooth headset won't work with 2014 HD Boom 6.5 system
I've read a few threads on this forum regarding 2014 Harley-Davidson owners and their new infotainment systems; one common question is "why won't my Bluetooth headset work with my Boom 6.5 system?"

I'm in electrical engineering an do a lot of communications work. We currently own 2008 FLHT, and use Cardo and Sena units for intercom and music, preferring that to the Harmon Kardon stereo built into the bike. We're looking at the 2014 HD's right now, so I called Harley with a very specific question:

"On the Boom 6.5 infotainment system, which Bluetooth profiles are supported?"

Tech-support couldn't answer that question, but they had me put it in an email and they forwarded it to the manufacturer of the system, Harmon Kardon. I pointed out that any Bluetooth profiles would be included in the original manufacturing specification documents between Harley and Harmon.

I received a reply yesterday; it indicated the Bluetooth profiles currently supported are:

HFP

A2DP

AVRCP

MAP

Immediately I understood why a Bluetooth headset won't work with the 6.5 system.

HFP is hands-free profile; this is for interfacing a cell phone to a hands-free kit in a vehicle.

A2DP is advanced audio distribution profile; this is for streaming audio between a media device and a (vehicle) radio.

AVRCP is for remote control of the radio/media player; it allows a remote device to pause, skip, fast-forward, etc. on music tracks.

MAP is message access profile; it's used to exchange messaging data between a cell phone and a radio. This is typically used in vehicle systems for displaying (or speech to text if supported by software) of SMS messages.

What was NOT listed in the specification was HSP-headset profile. This is why your Bluetooth headset won't work with the 6.5 infotainment system.

As many people with recently manufactured cars have discovered, like Ford Sync users, if you're on speaker phone in your car and you turn your headset on, the headset will grab control the phone from the car. The same thing happens with the new HD audio system with the current firmware.

There are other things HD shared with me on the specification document, like what services within those profiles are supported, but it gets too technical for most people at that point...The only ray of hope Bluetooth headset users have at this point is that there could be a firmware update in the future that adds additional profiles (like HSP).

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one, unless a lot of people put pressure on Harley to get Harmon to write a future firmware update.
---

And: "Factory-equipped with AM/FM radio, weather alert, integrated iPod® and USB audio device playback, map-based GPS navigation, and Bluetooth® pairing of mobile phones"
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...65gt-radio-kit

Last edited by TurkeyRun; 09-06-2014 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Added refe
Old 09-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by sixgun95
Wrong - it will. At least on the 15's, can't speak for the 14's.

Voice Recognition, Bluetooth
The Boom!™ Box 6.5GT gives you voice recognition for hands-free operation of your mobile phone, navigation system and music. It’s also Bluetooth capable. Whatever you want, just say the word. Whether it’s directions to the next gas station, a call back to the office you’re not at today or a song that fits the stretch of road you’re on, it’ll be served up without missing a beat.
No it won't! Obviously you haven't tried it or you would know it doesn't work. Quoting the Voice Recognition promo proves nothing. It fact, if you read the fine print, it specifically tells you voice recognition requires a wired headset.

Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth Helmet-screenshot_1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Helmet