Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting discovery on 1st gear clunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:17 PM
RushKing14
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interesting discovery on 1st gear clunk

I have discovered something regarding the infamous clunk going into first gear. I found that if I back my bike out of the garage with the engine running and still in neutral, but with the clutch pulled in and then go into 1st gear, it just slides in and makes no noise at all.
Backing out of the garage is about 20 feet or so to the street. I have tested it over and over, and it works every time.

Just thought I'd share. I figure it has to be better on the bits inside the tranny etc. in the long run to not have that loud assed clunk.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:24 PM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might have more to do with the oil being cold. Though mine normally clunks when I first start it and then its hit or miss on how it goes in after that.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:27 PM
RushKing14
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It isn't anything to do with it being cold. Every time I just pull out without the clutch in, it clunks loud as all get out. Not sure why it doesn't if I back out with the clutch in, but it doesn't ever.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:38 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

What's happening is you're allowing the engine and transmission to pre-lube the moving, rotating parts of the clutch. Try this, turn your bike around in the garage before starting it, then start it, wait about 10 seconds or so,pull the clutch lever in , give it a couple quick 2 or 3 blips on the throttle and then shift it into gear. No clunk.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:11 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

This makes all the sense in the world. Starting the bike in neutral, the trans mainshaft is still turning at engine rpm. Due to the stiction in the clutch plates, the clutch doesn't completely disengage. When you move the bike, the countershaft is moved, you're more likely to overcome the stiction in with the clutch plates and the shift to 1rst is smooth.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:25 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My bike makes the same clunk, as most Harley's do. Once started, hot or cold engine, I try to pull the clutch in for 20, 30 seconds before putting into first gear and get no clunk.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:01 AM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
My bike makes the same clunk, as most Harley's do. Once started, hot or cold engine, I try to pull the clutch in for 20, 30 seconds before putting into first gear and get no clunk.
Same here.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:02 AM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious. Why do some people think the 1st gear clunk is a problem? Harleys have been doing that since the panhead. I think MoCo had a patent on it.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:46 AM
pcwizard
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Isn't the 'clunk' a shot to the drivetrain (transmission) that can cause wear on bearings, shafts etc. ? Just asking....

Old 09-06-2014, 06:54 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
What's happening is you're allowing the engine and transmission to pre-lube the moving, rotating parts of the clutch. Try this, turn your bike around in the garage before starting it, then start it, wait about 10 seconds or so,pull the clutch lever in , give it a couple quick 2 or 3 blips on the throttle and then shift it into gear. No clunk.
Go for a ride, stop for fuel, restart bike, clunk into first gear.
Ever happen to you?
System is prelubed, I would say...
That theory is BS.
OP Theory has merit, is interesting, thanks for posting.
Man, at the BS we see in here on any given day...

Quick Reply: Interesting discovery on 1st gear clunk