Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F4 Windshields Rock!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:58 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts
Default F4 Windshields Rock!!

After getting my 2014 SG Special earlier this year, I determined I'd give up some of the coolness factor in favor of a little less wind turbulence. I read a lot of good things about LRS shields and promptly ordered a 10" Ultra for my bike. Got it, perfect height (I'm 6' to 6'1"), wind protection was awesome! Problem was the distortion in looking thru the shield when needed (parking, maneuvering at slow speeds, etc). Rode it about 10 miles and decided that between the distortion, and the "Ultra Glide" look, I'd research the whole shield thing some more---and I'm glad I did!!

I settled on an 8" F4 shield. Was a little concerned as everyone is touting the whole "recurve shape" as being vastly superior to the traditional shape, and F4 has yet to manufacture one for the Specials yet. Called and talked to a gentleman and we had a fairly lengthy discussion on size, shape, and clarity. I ordered the 8" and I'm completely blown away with it!! Zero distortion, and I mean ZERO distortion. Wind protection is almost as good as the 10" LRS Ultra, but I'd be hard pressed to say it gives up much. Couple this with the rain sheeting properties (seen this first hand and it's great) and the supposedly scratch resistance of it , and I'd say this is hands down a much superior product than the LRS. No, I didn't get it for free in exchange for this review---this is just an honest persons perspective on it. The distortion of the LRS was the biggest issue, looks was the second. This F4 shield is a dream compared to the LRS when it comes time to have to look thru it.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:42 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Shield looks good. I like it. But, I'm very disappointed to hear that your Ultra shield had ANY distortion at all. The only shield we offer with distorted views are our X-Stream and WindBlade due to their curvature. Our re-curve on our Ultra shield has no distortion looking through it and the material we use is clear as well. Perhaps we had a defect get out to you and was over heated in the process of making it, which will give a bumpy kinda look to the material. Hard to see until you are out in daylight looking through it.
I'm glad you're happy though. Truly I am. And I do like the look of your new shield.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 09-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP can you give us some more information. Where did you buy it, is there buffeting, how hard or easy to clean, things like that.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

What is an F4 shield? I have about six or seven different shields from different manufacturers but am not familiar with that one. My favorite shields are those from Windvest. As far as your distortion problem, were you looking through the top where the recurve is? If that's the case then any brand shield will cause that on the tippy top where the recurve starts it's bend. I personally am a fan of recurve.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:07 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 193 Likes on 170 Posts

I have a LRS 10" and have no distortion at all . Its light tint, and I actually look through it at night with on coming traffic, seems to help cut the glare to me.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:00 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member

The distortion was indeed thru the recurve part of the LRS shield and also somewhat closer to the fairing line as well. It wasn't the end of the world as I looked over the shield, but when pulling into the garage or dodging holes in a parking lot, it was a bit of a nuisance. The F4 is so perfectly clear and un distorted, I was truly amazed when I pulled out onto the street. I too look thru it at nights to alleviate the glare of the on coming headlights at times.

I'm 6' tall (or 6'1" to all of you 5'11" guys out there) and the wind pocket is perfect for me. I do experience buffeting when riding with a cross wind however, but the airstream is about an 1" or so over my head at 75moh when sitting "tall".

The rain sheeting off of it was AMAZING! I got caught out in one of Kc's evening thunderstorms with lots of lightening and rain and ducked behind the shield. Not quite a complete success as the rain was sideways at this point, but the windshield had the "rain-x" effect going on big time. I could see well enough at 50mph to keep riding instead of ducking under a bridge.

It cleans easily enough I guess, they say to use windex and paper towels, but I've used the HogWash I got from LRS and a high quality micro fiber and it's fine.

I bought it direct here
https://www.f4customs.com

Old 09-06-2014, 01:29 AM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had three recurve shields now from LRS and none had any distortion look to them except in the recurve bend which I expected before I bought them because the recurve would have to cover a much taller area to not have distortion looking through curved material. Mine have all been just clear down to the fairing line.

I even got one of the first prototypes from James for the batwing I had mounted on my Fat Bob turned Fat King and even though I never got a replacement or refund for the hawg wings I sent back when I was corresponding to get that proto one for my Fat King (actually not a fan of the hawg wings after handling them because they are fixed position) their shields are very high quality.

My current one which I got on a half off sale plus forum discount has the flame etching in it and I was a bit worried because others said the etching would be an issue from washing over time but a year later and its still top notch. I think honestly there is more than one company that makes these shields that is a really quality product but you would have to do a lot to prove yours is hands down far superior in quality to the LRS one I have. Glad you found the choice setup for you but having seen and tried other brands LRS is one of the best.

Last edited by xantasm; 09-06-2014 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:38 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a F4 shield in 2013 at Daytona bike week. I've put close to 30,000 miles on it. It's as clear now as the day I put it on. It has seen it's fair share of bugs in those miles, and not a single scratch. Can't say that with any other shields I've had. The clarity and satisfaction is 100%.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:10 AM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
What is an F4 shield? I have about six or seven different shields from different manufacturers but am not familiar with that one. My favorite shields are those from Windvest. As far as your distortion problem, were you looking through the top where the recurve is? If that's the case then any brand shield will cause that on the tippy top where the recurve starts it's bend. I personally am a fan of recurve.
Goldwing guys have been using F4 shields for years

Old 09-06-2014, 09:27 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member

You can see the clarity of the shield in the picture of my bike. That's the reason I posted this particular shot of the bike. Just look at where the windshield intersects the light pole. The clarity of the F4 shield is simply superb.

Quick Reply: F4 Windshields Rock!!