Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Fluids / Stealer Services

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:13 AM
apco25guy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Fluids / Stealer Services

I'm about 1k from my 5k service and plan on taking my scoot to the stealer for the 5k service.

Having said that, I want to put 'better' fluids in my tranny and such. Does anyone know if they have had success brining their own fluids to the dealer for them to use instead of their own HD lube/oil?

I"m not sure the name of the red stuff for the tranny, but I've heard its the best there is out there.

Just thinking out loud. I'd rather see if anyone else has had any success with this before I tried to talk to my service dept at the stealer.

Thanks everyone. Hope you all had a good Easter weekend.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Question about Fluids / Stealer Services

From my experience it's like going to a diner and bringing your own bacon and eggs.

Most will say no.

Sammi

Old 04-09-2007, 11:28 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And frankly, they SHOULD say "no" in my opinion. Let's say you bring in your own fluids, then have a problem of some kind - whose fault is it?

One other comment - if your dealer is, in your opinion, a "stealer" (your words), then WHY TAKE IT THERE?!?? Why not do it yourself, or find someplace else?

Old 04-09-2007, 12:26 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Seen big sighns at service dept. about this in a nice way

Old 04-09-2007, 12:27 PM
MntCruiser
Cruiser

My dealer had no issues using the fluids I brought in - BTW: The red tranny fluid you are asking about is Redline shockproof heavy - Great stuff

Old 04-09-2007, 12:42 PM
apco25guy
Cruiser

Awesome responses. I use the 'stealer' phrase just like anyone else does... they do take you when they can. Since I don't 'wrench', I need them to do it. Doesn't mean I'm happy with their pricing.

Thanks MntCruiser... thats the stuff. I know I can take 'my' type of synthetic to most automechanics and they will use 'customer provided oil' when they wont carry Mobile 1. I would imagine (hope/wish/whatever) that HD wouldnt care. I'll have to ask them and see what they say I guess. I was just curious to know of any others with success/experience with this question.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:50 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your going to run different fluids then tell them to do the 5k checkup and not do the fluids then either do before taking it in or after, but most dealers stock a varieity of oils, my dealer sells the red shock proof, mobil1 and royal purple syn oils also.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:54 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't meaning to "bust" on you. Looks like most dealers WILL use customer-provided oil, which is cool. It's the "stealer" part that sets my teeth on edge, I guess. I mean, think about it - they've got a shop full of guys who's ONLY method of making a living is by performing labor on our bikes. Ever looked in one of their tool boxes? The box alone can easily cost 'em over 5-6 THOUSAND bucks - and the tools....sheesh - who could guess??!?

Now, having said that - let me also say that I _do_ do my own wrenching on 95% of my stuff. If it's a warranty issue, I'll generally let THEM do it - otherwise, I'm gonna. I don't have HALF the tools those guys do, and I know for a fact that I've got well over $5,000 invested in tools alone. Along with that is a $1,000 Handy-Lift, MIG welder, torch, AC/DC welder, drill press, etc. - all stuff that the shops have to invest in. Then you've got to figure the value of your own time. For me, I've spent a lifetime as a DIY type - have built everything from barns to engines - so the tools are something collected over a lifetime. But it's just like a customer that had me come out to their house Saturday because they THOUGHT their water softener "wasn't working". Turned out it was - and they blanched when I charged 'em $65 for the service call. Well, I'm there in a $30,000+ truck, with tools, test equipment and repair parts. Funny thing was, they declined to buy a $35 test kit that would allow 'em to test the water for themselves... So no- while I want to be fair, I don't have a whole lot of empathy sometimes.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:04 PM
apco25guy
Cruiser

Tell me how you really feel. [sm=escape.gif][sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

I'm with ya.. I understand your point of view. I'm not worried on ya bustin on me. No problems at all..

Gunrunner, I think you make a valid point. I need to ask them if they carry it and if so, have them use it instead.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:49 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm sure those two gals in your sig can donate some fluids!

Quick Reply: Question about Fluids / Stealer Services