Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HK Radio Died

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 03:47 PM
TMOUT
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HK Radio Died

Was out for a ride the other night, all was well. Stopped for a coffee, came out started the bike, no tunes. Checked my iPod Shuffle to make sure it was working, yup. Tried the CD, nothing, radio, same. The display was all there, controls worked fine, just no sound at all. Took it to the dealer, they plugged in a different unit they had on hand, all good. So the radio is being replaced under my extended warranty. Strange that it would just fry itself like that, wasn't even moving...........

Old 08-30-2014, 04:00 PM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The HK radio is notorious for doing things like that. Mine would randomly cut out while riding, then be fine soon as I restarted the bike. It's probably a cracked control board

Old 08-30-2014, 06:31 PM
nogood
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subject of hk

anyone have there radio sounding like its in between channels mine just started this cd works great

Old 08-31-2014, 08:22 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

My CB quit on the way to Sturgis. Getting a new one under warranty Tuesday. If there is no warranty, just send it to Iron Cross. They will make it better than it was new and with a 1 year warranty for 250.00.

Bill

Old 08-31-2014, 03:28 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is an alternative radio for those with the HK radios that will fit in the same spot and are water proof. I would like it also if it had blue tooth built in to play my mp3 tunes from my phone or pandora and the zumo. Am I dreaming?

Old 08-31-2014, 03:58 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Highwayman-AL
What is an alternative radio for those with the HK radios that will fit in the same spot and are water proof. I would like it also if it had blue tooth built in to play my mp3 tunes from my phone or pandora and the zumo. Am I dreaming?
There are tons of them, if you don't mind loosing the intercom and CB.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:56 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, tons of options all for around $120. Much better sound and Bluetooth. However, you need a ~pricey interconnect module. Check out biketronics (and the audio sub-forum). I went with Kenwood and a biketronics amp. Install is easy.

I listen to music whenever I ride, and would always run through a CD well before I was ready to stop. Hassle. On group rides, stopping for music don't work. With Pandora and BT, no more stopping.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:22 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain
Veteran: Army
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Iron Cross Audio is doing Bluetooth mods on the Harmon Kardon radio...$140 for the addition that is internal on the unit. It functions in the Aux circuit according to their site. Nothing dangling off the radio, nothing to lose since it's internal, and you do NOT lose CB/intercom since it's the factory radio.

I had them add the Bluetooth when they put in the front/rear preamp outputs on my HK. The radio will be back on Tuesday, so I can post up then about how it works with an iPhone 5.