Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike back from the Dealer now Scrapping Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:33 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bike back from the Dealer now Scrapping Noise

FYI - Long post, but it has a good ending.

I am just not sure what to do here. I am new to Harleys, had my 2012 Limited now for about 4 weeks, rode about 2700 miles on it.

on August 5th I stopped by the dealership. The warranty was going to end on August 15 (factory warranty) so I wanted to make an appointment to have my tires changed, routers changed (warped) new wheel bearings, and just have the bike checked over.

Dealer said the soonest they could make an appointment would be August 21. but, but, the warranty....The service person said not a problem just drop your bike off on the 15th and if it is in then those things will be covered.

Um, you want me to leave my bike here for 6 days before you get to it on an appointment? Not sure I like that Idea. The service person said he would give me a call the following day to see what could be done. No call for next several days.

August 13th I stop at the dealership, the first person to help me is not there, I talked to the other person and he said sure leave you bike he has an appointment for you on August 21. Not really going to work so well, I need it on August 16th for a benefit ride for my close friend that was in an accident. Oh, don't know what to tell you.

Well you could open a ticket and I will bring it in on August 20th. Oh, I don't think we can do that, after a bit of conversation the service manager walked out from the back.

The service manager told me he had to have the bike. I told him that I would rather not leave it for that long and why, and even though I do have the ESP I would rather donate that money to my friend who went down, asked him can't he open a ticket for waiting for parts and we take care of it next week. With a pause and a look, he told the other person to go get him the VIN, and he put me in the computer.

I took the bike in, they replaced my tire with the Michelin Commander II (I bought them for $326.00 the dealership wanted $554.00 for just the rubber no balance, or anything). They replaced the rotors, and the wheel bearings and the brake pads (unexpected that one it is a wear item)

I get the bike back on Friday, bill $441.00. I ask can you explain this please. Sure, the $441.00 is for the bearings, and labor for the tire mounting, balance and labor for the bearings. Really, lets talk. I thought the bearings would be covered under warranty, and to change out the rotors don't you have to take the wheels off anyway? Hold on a minute. He walks back to the office behind the service counter.

The service manager comes out. Oh, I remember you, how did the benefit go,? Went great thanks, and by the way I donated the $50.00 you saved me on not using the ESP on behalf of you and the Dealership thanks.

He asked what was my question, he said the rotors were covered under warranty and the wheel bearings are if they were bad, but yours were not. I see. He asked why I am getting the bike today, as I was pretty anxious about picking it up Thursday evening when the appointment was made. I said because my bike wasn't ready, and XXXX called me this morning to say it wouldn't be ready until this evening. Oh, that wasn't the plan.

He said it is not unusual for the wheel bearings to be bad on this model of bike, and it isn't that much so we can add that to warranty, and since the wheel had to be taken off anyway it will be half labor for those plus shop charge and tax. Saw the new price and bam $114.00.

So now I ride the bike home, new wheels, new wheel bearings, new break pads and OMG what a ride (much better than my previous rice burner Kawasaki Nomad). This is crazy, I stop at home, eat some dinner and tuck the kids into bed, kiss the wife and I am gone again. 4 Hours of riding.

I discovered there is a National park here in Alabama (Mt Chuea (sp?) national park by Talladega. It is a very dark forest at night when riding through it.

Here it comes, now when I am riding and going through the curves, I get this scraping sound, either on the left or the right side. Weird, can't put my finger on it. I do feel it though through my feet. It only happens when I am rounding a corner on the left or right side. Didn't feel any of that before I had the work done.

BTW, the Dealership is Riders Harley Davidson in Pelham Alabama. They did me very right and was very kind and considerate, and I will use them again without hesitation.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:42 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer

Sounds like either the pads are rubbing on the rotor or the bearings are not loaded correctly. Being that it only happens in the turns, I would lean more towards the bearing install.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:46 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

I think he meant the footboards scraping in the curves. That's not a bad noise but that's as far as you should push it.It's not a canyon carver lol

Old 08-25-2014, 10:11 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
I think he meant the footboards scraping in the curves. That's not a bad noise but that's as far as you should push it.It's not a canyon carver lol
I totally missed that...

I thought he was having an actual issue lol

Old 08-25-2014, 10:16 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by Highwayman-AL
...routers changed (warped)
I hate when that happens, can really screw up one's internet experience.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:21 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he meant the footboards scraping in the curves. That's not a bad noise but that's as far as you should push it. It's not a canyon carver lol
I see where the OP stated "Here it comes, now when I am riding and going through the curves, I get this scraping sound, either on the left or the right side. Weird, can't put my finger on it. I do feel it though through my feet. It only happens when I am rounding a corner on the left or right side. Didn't feel any of that before I had the work done." but don't see where he said that the floorboards are now scraping. Maybe with the new tires he's riding harder into the turns? Or is the OP even really asking a question... maybe the joke is he IS riding the bike harder due to the new tires and bearings, and enjoying it. Not clear to me...

Old 08-25-2014, 10:21 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Sorry for the woes, Bro.
The park you mentioned is Mount Cheaha, the highest elevation in Alabama surrounded by the Talladega National Forest, very nice indeed.
The Harley Dealership in Pelham, Alabama is Heart Of Dixie Harley Davidson - I use them and they are great. Rider's Harley Davidson you mentioned is in Trussville, Alabama.
Not really a big deal, they have the same owner. Just a minor correction.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:29 AM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer

Originally Posted by dawg
I hate when that happens, can really screw up one's internet experience.
Urghh, you got me. I just changed out our router here at the house too, the other one did screw up the internet experience.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:33 AM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer

That was what I meant. The story was meant in a sarcastic why the bike is fun to ride, more than I expected and with the new stuff done to it I didn't realize how much I leaned it over and it caught me off guard. I figured a big, bulky heavy bike would not lean that far so easy.

I have backed off the throttle after a couple of times of floor boards scraps, I didn't buy it for canyon carving, but a nice soft ride, they were light warning scraps not the sparks flying setting stuff on fire need to replace the shoes types of scraps.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:37 AM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
I see where the OP stated ... but don't see where he said that the floorboards are now scraping. Maybe with the new tires he's riding harder into the turns? Or is the OP even really asking a question... maybe the joke is he IS riding the bike harder due to the new tires and bearings, and enjoying it. Not clear to me...
No question, more of a good experience with a dealer, and the fun in riding the bike and enjoying. I left out the floorboard part on purpose, to try and put some fun in the post.

Quick Reply: Bike back from the Dealer now Scrapping Noise