Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plugging a tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 12:00 PM
fastbydrmike
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plugging a tire

I had a screw in the rear of my Ultra between the treads and I plugged the tire. My buddy is telling me to buy a new tire and that I am crazy to ride on it. Anyone ever plug a rear tire? Let me know what happened?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 04-08-2007, 12:06 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Plugging a tire

I would only consider the plug to be a temporary unitl I could get the tire replaced. I had a front tire blow at 70 once. When it comes to tires I don't play.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:08 PM
DanTMan
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Plugging a tire on a car is no problem- you've got three more tires in reserve. Plugging a tire on a bike (unless it's just to get you to a place to buy a tire) is potentially extremely dangerous. Spend the $$ on a new tire.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:08 PM
sinsee
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't even consider plugging a motorcycle tire. Most cars places won't even do a car tire any more(they patch from inside) You are just aking to get hur with a plug in a MC tire. As the tread goes down, the plug is pushed around and can/will work its way loose. You denpend too much on the2 tires under ya.

Go and get that tire replaced

Old 04-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Stinx
Intermediate

I would plug the tire to get myself home, then bite the bullet and buy a new tire. A plug is a short term way to fix the tire so you cant get home or to a dealer. I also would ride very easy on a plugged tire. I do most of my riding on Sundays, and in my area the dealers service Dept are closed. A plug is the differnce between a tow and not being towed.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:32 PM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i concur...plug it just to get to somewhere to get a new tire put on. I keep a plug kit in my tool bag just for that reason.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,487 Likes on 4,380 Posts

Yeah, as a self-rescue kit item, a plug kit w/a CO2 cartridge filler gadget should get you through the trip. Best to have 5 or 6 cartridges.
ORIGINAL: Stinx

I would plug the tire to get myself home, then bite the bullet and buy a new tire. A plug is a short term way to fix the tire so you cant get home or to a dealer. I also would ride very easy on a plugged tire. I do most of my riding on Sundays, and in my area the dealers service Dept are closed. A plug is the differnce between a tow and not being towed.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Lev
Tourer

My last reartyre on the Buell got a nail in the centre after only 200 miles. I had it plugged and had no problems with it. I have just replaced it after covering 5,000 miles.
This is the third tyre I have had plugged and all have been perfectly OK for the complete life of the tyre.The chap who does all my tyres has been plugging tyres for years and told me if the puncture is not in the sidewall there is no problem. He has never known one of his repairs to fail. I personally would have no qualms riding with a plug, but its your choice at the end of the day.

Lev

Old 04-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a chance, I don;t care if I pick up a nail in the tire right after driving off the lot with 1 mile on the tire. Look at it this way, yes some have plugged bike tires without trouble, cars all the time. Cars have 4 tires in contact with the pavement,plug goes out, not a big deal. Bike has 2 tires in contact with the pavement, plug goes out you go down.
My life/well being is worth more than the new tire to me.

PS...No, I won't sell anyone my bad tires either

Old 04-08-2007, 01:28 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Its your life, do whatcha wanna do, but as far as I'm concerned its not worth the risk to have that one time the plug fails to be when you're tooling down the road at 70 or so....I'm sure that would be a life changing event and is nothing I'm interested in checking out!

ORIGINAL: fastbydrmike

I had a screw in the rear of my Ultra between the treads and I plugged the tire. My buddy is telling me to buy a new tire and that I am crazy to ride on it. Anyone ever plug a rear tire? Let me know what happened?

Thanks,

Mike

ORIGINAL: lev

tyre on the Buell got a nail in the centre after only 200 miles. I had it plugged and had no problems with it. I have just replaced it after covering 5,000 miles.
This is the third tyre I have had plugged and all have been perfectly OK for the complete life of the tyre.The chap who does all my tyres has been plugging tyres for years and told me if the puncture is not in the sidewall there is no problem. He has never known one of his repairs to fail. I personally would have no qualms riding with a plug, but its your choice at the end of the day.

Lev

Quick Reply: Plugging a tire