Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Bluetooth Headset

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 09:42 PM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Best Bluetooth Headset

Ok, probably a previous thread on this. I'm too lazy to look. So i'll ask.

I've got the Harley Modular helmet. Anybody suggest a particular bluetooth headset/intercom or just a headset?

Mike

Old 08-23-2014, 12:08 AM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no personal experience with any of them yet but have been reading up on the popular models and have spoken with a couple of dealers that sell pretty much all of them with no bias. If you want all of the bells and whistles the most popular seem to be the Sena SMH10 or the Scala G9.

I've heard both positive and negative reviews on the Sena SMH10 and mostly all positive on the Scala G9. They both are Bluetooth with a range of up to a mile and connect to up to 8 other users at a time. The Scala G9 came recommended and had a couple of features that the Sena didn't. They are both on the pricey side.

If you are looking for something a little more basic for lower cost, I was steered toward the Scala Q1, Q2 or Q3 depending on the features that I was looking for. If you're only looking for your own use or with a passenger only, the Q1 will serve the purpose well at a low cost. If you want to connect to up to three other riders the Q2 or Q3 would be a better choice with the Q3 having better range I believe.

I recommend that you do some research to figure out what serves your purpose the best. Here is a link that you can read up on some reviews of most of the popular models and makes. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/

Good luck!

Old 08-23-2014, 01:23 AM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks, There is just so much stuff out there and none of it seems "slick". I'm almost ditching the worries about bike to bike comms and just going with a bluetooth wireless in ear bud set up from the Apple Store. Right now, all I really need is bluetooth wireless phone calls. My current ear buds work great, but they're a pain in the *** to keep in my ears while putting my helmet on.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:06 AM
casbar
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a Scala G9 for a few years now. I use a Shoei Neotec Modular Helmet. Have been all over Europe with the other half, the headset works really well. Use it to listen to my sat and for making the occasional call. Have also used it bike to bike and it worked well upto a mile. Good bit of kit, there is a newer model out now.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:09 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Uclear HBC 200

Old 08-23-2014, 06:38 AM
tully_mars
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

Bike to bike the scalarider G9 has been working well for us. 4 of us rode all day to Daytona this year and stayed in sync the entire trip.

Only issue is I haven't had any success getting the Scala system to work with this new Rushmore crap. So just keeping it linked directly to my phone for tunes.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:43 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,149 Likes on 3,670 Posts

I have a q2 scala rider for sale, works great $125 shipped. I used it for 10 days on a trip. Don't need it anymore as I use CB with the club.
I had it installed in my Shoei RJ 3/4 helmet and was listening to music at 80 mph through my phone, Phone calls I had to slow down to Around 60 to be honest...

Last edited by Notgrownup; 08-23-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:45 AM
Trial dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth: I found about the same the Roger That mentions above when researching bluetooth headsets. I was looking for one that would let me bike to bike and ended up going with the Sena SMH10 because it was, I believe, cheaper than the Scala. If your not looking for bike to bike there are lots of other options, including a Sena SMH5 which is about half the price of the 10 if I remember correctly. We have used the SMH10 for several weeks, including on a week ride in Colorado and so far so good. Sound is good (not excellent but good), volume control works and is easy to use, pairing with phone is easy. If you don't have a full face helmet with good wind control around your chin area then calls or communication above 60 miles an hour isn't great due to wind noise. On a helmet with good wind control in that area communication even at 70 is easy and pretty quiet on the other end.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:06 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts
Old 08-23-2014, 07:21 AM
DK's Limited
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I have the U Clear system, my wife picked it out because the salesman said it was great. I have a 2013 Limited, installed the HD Bomm, and Zumo 665 with NIM cable, so I can connect to my phone,XM radio, and my wife as she rides her own bike. We wear open face helmets and the Sound is good, we have been using them since April, with no major issues. I think they run around 450.00 for a 2 helmet set. they sell the extra headphones cheap so if you use different helmets you can swap easily. that's my only experience.

Quick Reply: Best Bluetooth Headset