Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch not disengaging after part install and adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 01:39 PM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clutch not disengaging after part install and adjustment

So in preparation for my 107 build, I decided to upgrade my primary parts with hayden M6, VPC 92 and barnett heavy duty clutch. I installed all the parts and everything went as expected w/ the exception of the spring installation the clutch plates slid out slightly not anything to be worried about but I remember that happening. Installed everything, did my clutch adjustment and changed the fluid. Well started the bike up for a test drive and she wouldn't change gears. Adjusted the cable to make sure I had enough free play and now she is lurching forward and the clutch wont disengage. Well I checked everything out and dropped the transmission cover and checked the ball bearings, everything was put together correctly, redid the clutch adjustment and test drive did the same thing. Now I did not fully warm the bike up and at this point I am thinking maybe a plate is sticking when the plates slid out slightly. I also not that the Hayden M6 is tight as hell but no one complains that this is an issue w/ the M6. They say it will loosen up after 500 miles but I can't get out of my neighborhood because I am running all the stop signs! Any thoughts before I start taking stuff off?

I am thinking I should warm it up fully and then try to make sure the clutch plate isn't sticking somewhere. I've never had any issues prior to this problem.

I got to get this fixed before friday so I can install the 107

Old 08-19-2014, 02:04 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

Loosen up the primary chain adj. & try that. Did you let your clutch disc soak in oil? Get back & let us know if you find the problem. Good luck.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:14 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 132 Likes on 105 Posts

It's not the chain. Take the clutch apart and start over. You did something wrong.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:24 PM
stic2it
Road Captain

Originally Posted by qtrracer
It's not the chain. Take the clutch apart and start over. You did something wrong.

I didn't slide the disk out, it was merely the disk slid out but not out enough to fall out maybe a few mm's. I know the ***** are properly in the disk, so I don't think the issue is on the other side/transmission cover. I'm guessing something went wrong with the clutch adjustment/VPC/spring installation? I did not oil the disk because I did not take them out, and did not clean them off.

Can a tight chain cause lurching

Old 08-19-2014, 02:31 PM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the disc and plates are in proper setting, I would loosen the cable to the stop and adjust the clutch hub push rod with very tight or no slack for as much release as possible for the lever adjustment now adjust the lever. You'll need to adjust after a short time of use.
that well help you to ride the bike tell burn in time is over

Old 08-19-2014, 02:36 PM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to start over!

Remove and lay out all of your parts...have your manual handy and start at Step 1.

The friction plates need to be soaked prior to the install. If the Barnett clutch that you are using comes with 'anti-chatter' rings (the first ones you install in the basket...smaller than the regular steels and friction plates) REMOVE them!

Call Barnett Technical Assistance about your problem...they are a great resource and glad to help!

Adjust your primary chain to proper specs...adjust the cable all the way in...do a complete clutch adjust (by the book) with the engine cold.

It is probably something simple...don't overlook the obvious...you can do this!

Good luck...

Steve

Old 08-19-2014, 03:07 PM
stic2it
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SCJE8
You need to start over!

Remove and lay out all of your parts...have your manual handy and start at Step 1.

The friction plates need to be soaked prior to the install. If the Barnett clutch that you are using comes with 'anti-chatter' rings (the first ones you install in the basket...smaller than the regular steels and friction plates) REMOVE them!

Call Barnett Technical Assistance about your problem...they are a great resource and glad to help!

Adjust your primary chain to proper specs...adjust the cable all the way in...do a complete clutch adjust (by the book) with the engine cold.

It is probably something simple...don't overlook the obvious...you can do this!

Good luck...

Steve
I just replaced the top spring diaphram not the whole clutch, I took off the retaining ring, pulled the spring diaphram out. Put the spring in, VPC over top and screwed it down. I will make sure the bolts are all locked in but I am positive they were torqued to spec.

I am going to play with the clutch adjustment at the basket some more and try to only put a 1/4 turn on it. I did the 1/2 and 3/4 but it really felt the same.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:21 PM
SCJE8
Club Member

Originally Posted by stic2it
I just replaced the top spring diaphram not the whole clutch, I took off the retaining ring, pulled the spring diaphram out. Put the spring in, VPC over top and screwed it down. I will make sure the bolts are all locked in but I am positive they were torqued to spec.

I am going to play with the clutch adjustment at the basket some more and try to only put a 1/4 turn on it. I did the 1/2 and 3/4 but it really felt the same.
Okay...I misunderstood...thought it was a Barnett Clutch Kit. You just did the spring replacement.

Only a few things that could get messed up...but still start over. It's those little things that always bite you in the butt! Do your clutch adjustment from the start!

And if you can't get it...call the Barnett guys...they stood on their heads to help me with my Barnett basket and clutch kit! Great bunch of guys!

Good luck...

Steve

Old 08-20-2014, 12:32 PM
stic2it
Road Captain

So after all that, I got her fixed up. I must have not torqued the VPC properly on 3 bolts, the AIM VPC replaces the retaining ring, which was allowing the plates to come loose. I adjusted my clutch to 1/4 inch turn and it catches really soon but I am going to keep it there since my clutch is stiffer than I'm used to because of the Barnett spring. I may switch back to 1/2 turn after everything breaks in.

Should I put lock tight on the retaining ring/vpc bolts? I did initially but seems it washed all off, their was no evidence of it on the bolts. None of the instructions specified if it should be used

Old 08-20-2014, 02:47 PM
SCJE8
Club Member

Originally Posted by stic2it
So after all that, I got her fixed up. I must have not torqued the VPC properly on 3 bolts, the AIM VPC replaces the retaining ring, which was allowing the plates to come loose. I adjusted my clutch to 1/4 inch turn and it catches really soon but I am going to keep it there since my clutch is stiffer than I'm used to because of the Barnett spring. I may switch back to 1/2 turn after everything breaks in.

Should I put lock tight on the retaining ring/vpc bolts? I did initially but seems it washed all off, their was no evidence of it on the bolts. None of the instructions specified if it should be used
Good deal! Glad it worked out, stic2it!

Personally, I like a little blue Locktite!

Steve

Quick Reply: Clutch not disengaging after part install and adjustment