Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EG HD Factory backrest adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:59 PM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 898 Likes on 526 Posts
Default EG HD Factory backrest adjustment?

Hi all...
I have a factory adjustable HD backrest.
I have the adjustment lever under the side of the frame, but that's only to move it further forward.

Before I bend the bracket/backing plate backwards, is there an adjustment on the backrest body/mounting point under the seat?
I'm a bigger guy...and I feel like the factory back rest is pushing me too far forward...

Thanks!!

Last edited by dajogejr; 08-19-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:26 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dajogejr
Hi all...
I have a factory adjustable HD backrest.
I have the adjustment lever under the side of the frame, but that's only to move it further forward.

Before I bend the bracket/backing plate backwards, is there an adjustment on the backrest body/mounting point under the seat?
I'm a bigger guy...and I feel like the factory back rest is pushing me too far forward...

Thanks!!
If you have the backrest with the control lever mounted on the frame, you should be able to adjust it forward and backwards with the lever if it's installed correctly. Push the lever down I believe and with your back push against the backrest, it should move back...

Old 08-19-2014, 02:29 PM
dajogejr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Push the lever down I believe and with your back push against the backrest, it should move back...
Seriously dude... if it's that simple, I'll have to wear the coned shaped hat with D U N C E around for quite some time.
Bike is at the shop, can't confirm it. But I'm 100% certain it is the HD factory setup and it does have the lever under the left side frame.

I would have NEVER thought to push the button, only "pull" the latch.
Wow....

If that works...owe ya bro. Thank you!

Old 08-19-2014, 02:46 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's a link to the Harley .pdf instructions for the installation and operation of the adjustable backrest for Electraglides '09 through '14. Page 5 is about, "operation":

http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-c...ts/-J04730.PDF

Old 08-19-2014, 02:53 PM
dajogejr
Road Warrior

My lever/latch does not look like the ones in the pictures.
It does (now...I'm questioning myself) have HD on the seat latch.
I've never thought to push OR pull the lever while seated on the bike. Only pulled the lever and had it spring forward.

Should have it back tomorrow or Thursday. You can bet that's the first thing I'll be looking at....

OK, so I'm not totally crazy. HOGNOT, your post is of a newer model, I have an 05. This illustration is the one I do have.
Look at figure 3 on the 2nd page. It is exactly the one I have. I wouldn't think you could push this in for adjustment, but to be honest, I haven't pulled the latch and tried to lean back either.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-c...ts/-J04729.PDF

Last edited by dajogejr; 08-19-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:17 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

I have an 09 set up but unless your on the bike and pushing back against the backrest with the lever pushed, it's not moving backwards........

Old 08-19-2014, 03:18 PM
dajogejr
Road Warrior

Yeah, I got a feeling I'm gonna feel better riding, but also like a dumb *** in just another day or so....

Old 08-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for that post. I have one installed and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to remove the backrest. Thanks to that PDF, I just removed it, there is a lever under the pillion on the right side of the backrest to release it.

To get the backrest to lean forward, lean forward and for mine pull up on the little button/lever under the heat shield, to lean back, pull up on the same lever and lean back. The hydraulic is pretty stout so I think the only way to easily do it is by sitting on the bike.

The pad on mine also moves up and down, lift the pad cover on the back and you will see a release to pull and slide the backrest pad up and down.

Expensive but I am enjoying it.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:42 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

if u still can't get it back far enough u can put a couple of washers under the front of the mount to tilt it back.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:44 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

If you want the pad to conform to your back and be comfortable on long trips, send it to Mean City Cycles for their memory foam conversion. I had mine done and yes, a little pricey at $45 but now at least it conforms to my back and it's not like sitting against a semi solid surface as before......