Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks for the add, already have a question!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 04:57 PM
YJRay
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the add, already have a question!!

Hi! Thanks for the add!!! I'm new to Harley's but have been riding for years. Just got a 2006 Street Glide from a buddy of mine and I'm loving it!! But now I've got a question for ya. About two months or so ago I ordered the Brightass lights (BAL-3R) and I love it. I have not had any problems with it whatsoever. Well yesterday I purchased the Kuryakyn Phase 7 LED headlight. I installed it and man that thing is freakin bright!!! A lot brighter than the OEM H-D light. Well as I was trying it out last night I noticed I didn't have any brake lights! I had the parking/running light but no brake. I got home and messed around w/ the flash patterns on the light and managed to get the pattern to change and that seemed to fix it but I could not cycle through the all the patterns and just left it to deal with in the morning. I went out to set the pattern I wanted this morning and still the pattern wouldn't change. I figured the LED taillight had gone bad and hooked up the stock light and that's when I noticed it was stuck on brake and would not go back to the running light. I guess my question is this, because I have the LED head & tail lights is there not enough amp draw to the electrical system or something to make it where my brake light is stuck on? I would think that one wouldn't have anything to do with the other but hey you never know. In short WHAT's UP?!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-17-2014, 05:24 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to the forum. That's a good one! As for current draw, that shouldn't be an issue as LED's draw very little. Not familiar with the BAL, is it a straight swap or did you have to cut into the harness? There is also the chance that it's pure coincidence and your brake light switch at the lever has gone bad.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:40 PM
YJRay
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a direct plug-n-play replacement, no cutting or anything. www.brightasslights.com
The reason I mentioned current draw is because I know that if you have a car with all halogen bulbs and try to replace the brake lights or turn signals w/ LED's they will sometimes flash faster as if the older halogen bulb would do if it were to go out. On my Jeep when I did it they wouldn't even flash because of amp draw and would just steady burn. The stock "mechanical" flasher would not work and I had to get an electronic flasher to correct the problem. I hope it's just a coincidence, don't have time to mess with it now, just sucks I dropped the coin on the new headlight and can't use it until I get this resolved! lol Oh, I did do ALOT of riding yesterday so maybe that's what happened, we'll see. Thanks Mike

Last edited by YJRay; 08-17-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Added to post, hit enter by mistake! lol
Old 08-17-2014, 06:00 PM
ses
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same setup on my 2006 EG and I would be looking more toward a faulty brake switch than voltage.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:30 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Brake light

The flasher and brake lights are two different animals. The amount of current drawn will affect flashers, but not brake switches.

Brake switch is either off or on. Disconnect the one oft he wires from the switch. If the light goes out, it's a bad switch.