Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice with stereo system

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 04:53 PM
big TYME
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice with stereo system

I have a 2006 SG and wanted better sound. So I installed a Sony Bluetooth HU and a pair of Polk Audio DB651 speakers in the fairing. This "upgraded" system sounds like crap. I can't even make out the vocals riding over 40 mph. My stock HK and boom speakers blew this set up away. Once the volume is turned up above 35, with a max of 50, it is really distorted. Im not looking for concert sound but would like to at least be able to hear it at highway speeds. My thinking tells me that I am on a good path so far but need to invest in the right amp. The Polks that I have are 4 ohm rated and have a 3/4 in tweeter in the center. If a 2ch amp would greatly help then I will not be adding any other speakers. If I need a 4ch amp and more speakers then I could install speakers in the lowers. I have been reading about the soundstream PN4.520. The price is right with my budget but im confused about all this ohms stuff. Im sure this has been explained a million times but with all ive read, I still don't understand. Please answer this simple question "will this amp solve my weak a@@ sound issues?. Thanks

Old 08-17-2014, 05:08 PM
fat daddy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't know what to tell ya I got the same radio in my bike and at 80mph I have the volume on 35 and I can here it real good. I need to point though I'm listening to my I pod and they always sound better then the radio. I don't have an amp and for speakers I got a pair of hawg.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 24 Posts

To answer your primary question, Yes, that amp should do the job. Just some additional info FWIW. I put one of these on my EG with the same speakers and have had zero issues and good sound that I could easily here at 1/3 volume on a stock HU. Is it a big name amp, No. Has it done the job for a good price and been hassle free, Yes. There are several audiophiles who will give plenty of options on what are very good amps but like you I wasn't looking for exactly recreated sound. The only other thing I did add was a line output converter. Sound is very subjective but I think the low pass via the converter gives better sound and I like the additional gain adjustment they provide.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4CH-300W-Wat...item3f3362f40f

Old 08-17-2014, 05:43 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't beat that price fur sure. I went to Car Toys and bought a Alpine 45 watt amp for 125 bux. Since the stock radio is only 17 watts, the 45 watt will work great. I only have two speakers in the fairing (150 watt Infinity's). Which sound great setting still or 80 mph.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Bad choice of speaker, IMO. Had them myself. Muddy highs and lackluster bass. A Rockford Fosgate pbr300x2 amp would wake them up. The Infinity 62.11i speakers would sound better.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:14 PM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like either your HU or your speakers are bad, or somethings wired up wrong.

Is the volume low on all functions? Or just when using bluetooth? What's the cd player/radio quality like?

Whenever I use the bluetooth system in my car,I have to reminder to turn the volume on my phone to 100% otherwise the sound is incredibly low no matter how much I turn the HU up

Last edited by sbeast; 08-17-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:03 PM
big TYME
Cruiser

Sound quality is better when using my ipod but still not what I though it would be. This set up sounds ok when riding under 40ish mph. I am still thinking I need an amp to simply wake this up. My speakers are rated at 60 watts RMS @ 4 ohms and this amp is rated at 100 watts @ 4 ohms and 130 watts @ 2 ohms. Worst case scenarios would be, I buy the amp and then if I don't like the sound, I could just buy different speakers and still use the same amp.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:05 PM
big TYME
Cruiser

Another thought? Since these speakers have built in tweeters, do I need crossovers?? I think everything is hooked up properly. I used Biketronics Sony kit and it was really simple.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:17 PM
Sqr
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bike owners routinely make the mistake of purchasing and installing car audio amps and speakers into their rides. Bike audio is specifically designed with low energy loads, heat, sound ranges, weight, moisture and vibrations in mind. The speakers deliver sound in a specific range that works with wind and road sound, a cars speaker is for a quiet environment such as the cabin. Some can't tell the difference, but some people can. Amps operate differently within a frequency band which can also clip when connected to a bikes charging system. It truly is a complicated setup which requires research and proper setup.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:24 PM
big TYME
Cruiser

Thanks again for the help and please keep the ideas coming. I have read enough posts to make my eyes bleed.

Quick Reply: Need advice with stereo system