Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice with stereo system

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 05:36 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

If you do get an amp, be aware the Polk DB speakers are rated at 60w while the MM's are rated at 100w. I have a pair of MM's and a pair of Infiniti's and the Infinitis are better.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:20 AM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

You really should post in the audio section. Those Polk speakers are crap. I blew three pairs.
If you want serious quality sound, check out biketronics.com
I invested a serious mint but now, I can't wipe the smile from my face

Old 08-19-2014, 08:05 AM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
Bad choice of speaker, IMO. Had them myself. Muddy highs and lackluster bass. A Rockford Fosgate pbr300x2 amp would wake them up. The Infinity 62.11i speakers would sound better.
+ 1 on the 62.11i's......just installed last night, sounded great on my way to work in traffic at 70 mph.

You might try posting in the Audio section if you don't get enough inputs from this side.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:35 AM
thebikeshop
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best sounding system that I have installed is arc audio is 125.2 bx2 amp, with Rockford Fosgate power full range T165 must use 5.25 too 6.5 adapter, and Rockford Fosgate power P1t-S full range tweeter with crossover. Using the stock HU. Very clear and loud.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:36 PM
big TYME
Cruiser

You guys have been a huge help. Just ordered the soundstream amp and infinity 62.11i speakers and hope this is a huge improvement. Ill definitely let you guys know in a week or so. Thanks

Old 08-19-2014, 08:43 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by big TYME
You guys have been a huge help. Just ordered the soundstream amp and infinity 62.11i speakers and hope this is a huge improvement. Ill definitely let you guys know in a week or so. Thanks

Did you order the 4.520 or 2.350? The four channel amp is kind of a waste unless you plan on adding lids or lowers.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:44 PM
big TYME
Cruiser

I ordered the 4 channel b/c I will prob be installing lowers. I am currently installing the amp as we speak. came back to this sit to read how folks are hooking this amp up. I have got the amp mounted now and time to hook everything up. my mounting was pretty simple. I used a scrap piece of 1/4 in wood and bolted the amp to it. I then bolted the wood to the cross supports that are on top of the HU. I used existing holes that were in the cross supports. now on the the wiring.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:15 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

I have a 2006 SG and wanted better sound. So I installed a Sony Bluetooth HU and a pair of Polk Audio DB651 speakers in the fairing. This "upgraded" system sounds like crap. I can't even make out the vocals riding over 40 mph. My stock HK and boom speakers blew this set up away. Once the volume is turned up above 35, with a max of 50, it is really distorted. Im not looking for concert sound but would like to at least be able to hear it at highway speeds. My thinking tells me that I am on a good path so far but need to invest in the right amp. The Polks that I have are 4 ohm rated and have a 3/4 in tweeter in the center. If a 2ch amp would greatly help then I will not be adding any other speakers. If I need a 4ch amp and more speakers then I could install speakers in the lowers. I have been reading about the soundstream PN4.520. The price is right with my budget but im confused about all this ohms stuff. Im sure this has been explained a million times but with all ive read, I still don't understand. Please answer this simple question "will this amp solve my weak a@@ sound issues?. Thanks
Ok big TYME . . Here's what you have to do. Get rid of the polks first and formost. Not a very good speaker on a bike due to poor specs. I had em a long time ago. Frankly they are horrible speakers. Secondly, if you want good sound with a two speaker system an amp is a MUST HAVE item. The cheapest most effective setup on your bike is going to be the Rockford PBR300X2 amp with the Infinity 62.11i speakers. The speakers are about 130.00 and the amp is 160.00. I assume you already have the adapter rings for the 6.5 speakers. Basically I'm telling you the same thing Pioneer74 stated in his reply. Get the fosgate and the infinity's. and you will be a happy camper!

Edit; Don't know why my post is just showing up I posted a couple days ago. Anyway congrats on the Soundstream! You will love it!

Last edited by Gannicus; 08-21-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:59 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 2006 SG and wanted better sound. So I installed a Sony Bluetooth HU and a pair of Polk Audio DB651 speakers in the fairing. This "upgraded" system sounds like crap. I can't even make out the vocals riding over 40 mph. My stock HK and boom speakers blew this set up away. Once the volume is turned up above 35, with a max of 50, it is really distorted. Im not looking for concert sound but would like to at least be able to hear it at highway speeds. My thinking tells me that I am on a good path so far but need to invest in the right amp. The Polks that I have are 4 ohm rated and have a 3/4 in tweeter in the center. If a 2ch amp would greatly help then I will not be adding any other speakers. If I need a 4ch amp and more speakers then I could install speakers in the lowers. I have been reading about the soundstream PN4.520. The price is right with my budget but im confused about all this ohms stuff. Im sure this has been explained a million times but with all ive read, I still don't understand. Please answer this simple question "will this amp solve my weak a@@ sound issues?. Thanks

I am not sure but if your 06 has a 2ohm head unit and you are running 4ohm speakers you are only using half of the head unit/internal amp power, making your speakers sound like garbage you would need to parallel wire your speakers to match the 2ohm load but then you are only running left or right side so not a good ideal. If you are going to just add a amp make sure the ohm rating is going to match the speaker ohm rating. A 4 ohm HU running 2ohm speakers will destroy your head unit the speakers will try to pull to much power that is not there making the head unit run hot, hot, hot. A 2ohm head unit supplying 4ohm speakers is to much power above a certain sound level and that is where you get your distortion from. Bottom line always match impedance on HU and speakers. I hope this helps

Old 08-22-2014, 04:36 PM
big TYME
Cruiser

Update!!!!! Just finished the soundstream amp and I can not believe the sound out of this system. I was blown away. The amp made all the difference in the world. Once my Infininty's come in, i will install those and remove the Polk's. I still think the Polk's sound great, so hoping the Infinity's will sound even better. Eventually I will use the Polk's for lowers just for a little extra sound. So I have learned that an amp is a MUST for any system. Hope this helps anyone looking for basic info. BTW, I did loose some FM channels which kinda bothers me. I use in ipod 95% of the time tho. Thanks again folks for the help.

Quick Reply: Need advice with stereo system