Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wont start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 11:02 AM
hellbilly78
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wont start?

Ok guys did a quick search with no answers to what im lookin for. I got a 2012 with pyo 14" monkey bars. Friday i rode to a friends tattoo shop when i went to leave turned the ignition on waited for the engine light to go out hit the start button and nothin happened no even a click. I flipped the run switch to off and back on still nothin. Turn the ignition off back on hit the starter fired right back up. Yesterday i was out ridin around go get gas. Same thing happened. Turn the ignition switch off then back on hit the starter button and fired up. The bike was in rain and dust last week in sturgis. So my question is do you guys think its maybe the starter button wire in the bars or do you think there is possibly dirt behind the button or just the button goin bad?

Old 08-17-2014, 11:03 AM
hellbilly78
Tourer

The first time it happened i just chocked it up as a fluke because everything is electronic the second time im startin to think its not a fluke thanks in advance guys

Old 08-17-2014, 11:17 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

what year/ model?

the ignition switch contacts could be bad- if you run a high watt headlight or added lighting up front this can overload the switch.

or...if could be the switches/bar wiring.

when this happens again rather than cycle the ign switch, bang on the bars with the heel of your hand...what happens?

if you soldered wires when you put on your bars, look at the joints- soldered wire connections will break right where the tinning ends due to vibration

it could also be the starter relay- easy enough to swap relays under the cover

to bypass teh starter primary circuit you can attach a jumper wire to the solenoid ( pull the green wire off teh terminal), and touch the other end to battery hot ( starter should run...so bike in Neutral).

some guys give up and install a plunger type solenoid end cover ( $30)- this removes the starter switch, relay and wiring from the equation

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-17-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:50 AM
hellbilly78
Tourer

It is a 2012 streetglide. No added lighting to it all that is factory. Ill keep in mind bangin on the bars if it happens againm im not sure if the wires are soldered together or not since i had my indy put them on for me. Ill ask him when my new tires come in. Thanks for the info mike. I do a lot of ridin usually solo so i dont really wanna end up in bfe and the bike wont start haha

Old 08-17-2014, 01:15 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbilly78
i dont really wanna end up in bfe and the bike wont start haha
make up a 3' jumper wire to bypass the bar controls as above.

crimp a terminal on one end that'll fit your solenoid terminal...the other end you can touch to the battery +- if you have power in the battery...the starter will jump ( so be in Neutral otherwise you'll watch yer bike going away)

if you have a tender pigtail you can get power from there depending on the fuse value.

just keep that in the saddlebag, MacGiver.

if your model has a clutch switch, look at that too.( blk/red wire)

mike

Old 08-17-2014, 06:29 PM
GNrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neutral switch?

Old 08-18-2014, 02:59 AM
hellbilly78
Tourer

Will do thanks for the input mike. Luckily enough it hasnt happened today so maybe its just some dumb fluke. Hopefully it stays that way i hate electrical stuff haha. If it happens anymore i may just invest in one of those selinoid switches and bypass all that if need be