Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the 2015 Road Glide Fairing bet retrofitted to 2013 and earlier?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014 | 04:11 PM
Hogpro
|
Former Sponsor
Default Can the 2015 Road Glide Fairing bet retrofitted to 2013 and earlier?

I'm not the guy to do this to my bike but I am curious as to if the new fairing can bet retrofitted to older Road Glides? Anyone have dealer parts lists?

Old 08-15-2014 | 04:19 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

Haven't seen one yet! It is however the duty of owners of older Harleys to prove we can retrofit new stuff to older bikes. We may need a volunteer to try retrofitting an RG fairing.....

Old 08-15-2014 | 04:28 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

At a minimum, you'd have to figure out what to do with that big hole where the audio/nav display goes. You cant buy that for your bike because its designed for the CAN BUS/HD Lan architecture which your bike is not wired for, and at a minimum would require a complete rewiring of the bike.

Old 08-15-2014 | 04:29 PM
Sqr
Cruiser
Wink

Not taking the cost into account the mod may be easier than for adopting a newer SG batwing to an older model. A new SG requires a complete new uppers, lowers, trees, wheel, fender, axel, and light bar to name a few of the items. The RG is bolted to the frame so a small mod maybe that all is needed. The frames are not changed so a direct bolt on May be possible. The entire front end can remain including, fender, wheel and axle, trees, uppers, lowers and gauge trim. I think an easy change and very doable.

The following users liked this post:
Hollywood Rides (05-14-2023)
Old 08-15-2014 | 04:31 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member

I test rode one and spent a lot of time looking it over at sturgis this year.

I suspect you could but you would need to do the inner fairing as well.

Which leads into the radio delima. Not certain an aftermarket radio will fit the opening and may look a bit weird even if you used a radio with a screen. So you may need the new boom radio and i an not certain it will plug into an old harness given the new can bus system.

I am certain someone will try. The wind buffeting is almost as bad as my 04 & my 12 and the head light look like that robot on futurama.

Your$ your bike. The new front fairing is going to have to grow on me for a while.

Now if y o u want to talk about swaping in the new front forks and front triple trees. Im listening...

Last edited by bigskyroadglide; 08-15-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2014 | 04:33 PM
Sqr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Keithhu
At a minimum, you'd have to figure out what to do with that big hole where the audio/nav display goes. You cant buy that for your bike because its designed for the CAN BUS/HD Lan architecture which your bike is not wired for, and at a minimum would require a complete rewiring of the bike.
This can be adaptable as guys are already working on it.

Old 08-15-2014 | 05:03 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Short answer - yes. Anything is possible.

Right answer - yes, but you would probably spend less money by selling your bike and buying a new road glide. Less headaches anyway.

Old 08-15-2014 | 05:09 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sqr
Not taking the cost into account the mod may be easier than for adopting a newer SG batwing to an older model. A new SG requires a complete new uppers, lowers, trees, wheel, fender, axel, and light bar to name a few of the items. The RG is bolted to the frame so a small mod maybe that all is needed. The frames are not changed so a direct bolt on May be possible. The entire front end can remain including, fender, wheel and axle, trees, uppers, lowers and gauge trim. I think an easy change and very doable.
Are you sure the frame has not changed? The local stealer indicated all touring 2014 up have newly designed frames as part of the Rushmore project.

Old 08-15-2014 | 06:44 PM
Little Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by Sqr
Now I haven't looked closely at a newer SG but what am I missing? How and why exactly would a swap to a newer fairing require a new wheel, fender, axle, and particularly tire? Is the tire integral to the fairing somehow?

Old 08-15-2014 | 10:21 PM
Sqr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Little Mike
Now I haven't looked closely at a newer SG but what am I missing? How and why exactly would a swap to a newer fairing require a new wheel, fender, axle, and particularly tire? Is the tire integral to the fairing somehow?
The entire front end of a 2014 is different with zero interchangeability with a pre 2013. Eg: a 2014 fender will not bolt to an earlier model, the lower tubes will not either as well as the inner fairing, or even the two piece light rack. The tubes are of a larger diameter and spaced out wider.
The wind shield and chrome trim are not interchangeable.

This even goes in reverse for earlier bike parts to a new 2014 model. Having said that you can switch the entire complete only front end between the years. The gooseneck bearings have a small modification and are adjusted differently, but the Frames are the same.

Last edited by Sqr; 08-15-2014 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Can the 2015 Road Glide Fairing bet retrofitted to 2013 and earlier?