Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big bore or cam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007 | 05:57 PM
grinner
|
Road Captain
Default Big bore or cam?

I only run my '07 motor between 1500 and 3500 rpm.I'm only concerned with power in this rpm range, and I don't care at all about power above 4000 rpm. To improve low-end pull, is it better to just make the motor bigger or optimize existing motor for low-end umph with a cam?

In other words, if I rode a bike with the big borew/stock cam and another stock 96 w/touring cam, which would pull harder at low rpm?

Please forgive this stupid question, as I'm absolutely not a mechanic: If I pay the dealer to install a big bore, are they already into the engine enough that I would save some labor to have them install a cam at the same time? Or are they totally different installs with no economy on labor cost to do both at the same time?

Old 04-07-2007 | 06:12 PM
RE AND CHERYL
Tourer
Default RE: Big bore or cam?

Hard to tell. Usually stroking an engine increasses tourque more than an over bore would. My 01 Ultra has a 95" kit and I recently installed Andrews 26 cams. The 95" kit made it stronger than other 88" Twin Cams, but the cams made it a beast. The 26 is only slightly bigger than the stock cams but they made a huge difference, but not entirely in the range your seeking. It does it's best work above 3k.

If you want the most bang in the range you specify, I'd go big bore, Air intake, and an exhaust only slightly less restrictive than stock (freeflowing/loud pipes kill bottom end), maybe something like the SE touring pipes.

Re'

[/align]

Old 04-07-2007 | 06:16 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member

$$$ 4 $$$ - CAM-IT

Old 04-07-2007 | 06:29 PM
rollover
Road Captain

I see more people doing cam swaps with the stock 88 then people doing 95s and leaving the stock cam. From what I have read on this forum, the stock 88 with a cam swap can make some nice numbers(torque).

Old 04-07-2007 | 06:31 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member

If on budget...do the Andrews 26 cam first then do big bore later, should work perfect for what you want.

Old 04-07-2007 | 06:42 PM
Kern
Road Master

I want to do the same, cams only for now.

Is the Andrews 26 the most agressive you can get with an88that has aBig Sucker, PCIII and BassaniTrue Duals? I would prefer not to have to buy cams twice when I do the other stuff next winter. Can I do gear driven cams as well?

Old 04-07-2007 | 06:59 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member

It's not the most agressive, but in that RPM range is probably the best for bagger. Decide on what your final goal is before doing any motor mods. Do you want high horsepower and torque? Lots of torque...or? Again in that RPM range the Andrews is very hard to beat.

Old 04-08-2007 | 08:58 AM
Kern
Road Master

ORIGINAL: jeepster09

It's not the most agressive, but in that RPM range is probably the best for bagger. Decide on what your final goal is before doing any motor mods. Do you want high horsepower and torque? Lots of torque...or? Again in that RPM range the Andrews is very hard to beat.
When the motor is complete I will be looking for bothTQ and HP. I was hoping for now that new cams would give me that little bit of extra TQ. I was talking with a bud about it, he said with what I have (air, exhaust etc)I could even go with the 37G. I just repliedwith a"aha". I don't know if he is blowing smoke or not. Is he?Anyone know who has a competitive online price?

Old 04-08-2007 | 09:36 AM
raftgyde
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Kern

When the motor is complete I will be looking for bothTQ and HP. I was hoping for now that new cams would give me that little bit of extra TQ. I was talking with a bud about it, he said with what I have (air, exhaust etc)I could even go with the 37G. I just repliedwith a"aha". I don't know if he is blowing smoke or not. Is he?Anyone know who has a competitive online price?
Yes, you COULD go to the 37, but with what you describe, you will probably be happier with the 26HG. Take a look at the Andrews site for their descriptions.

Old 04-08-2007 | 10:12 AM
MI98FXDWG
Advanced

Cams would be the way to go, just make sure the ones you choose are made to "work" in the RPM range you run your bike in. If you don't it will be a waste of money and you won't be happy with them.

Quick Reply: Big bore or cam?