Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big bore or cam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007 | 07:17 AM
jrudicel
Road Captain
Default RE: Big bore or cam?

On a side note...What about sound with like a 26G cam? Can a person "hear" you have a cam in the bike? I know you probably arent going to get a real wild potato potato sound, but will it have more of a cam sound than stock?

Old 04-09-2007 | 09:11 AM
truegentlemann
Cruiser
From: i live outside Omaha Ne on the Iowa side in the Loes hills, some great places to ride

if it's not much more than stock you'll get a sound not much more than stock.
26G is not much more than stock. on the other hand with the Woods cams (woods cams are so much diffrent than all of the others) you get alot of lift , not much for duration (to keep the low end torque) with that cam yes it will sound diffrent.
but in a biult engine that sounds really cool , there are other things to take into consideration. the compression ratio, a bigger cam yet, less restrictive exhaust usually (this robs power but puts out that cool loping sound).

Old 04-09-2007 | 10:25 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

It is next to impossible to suggest anything,since you are the only one who truly knows what you are after.My experience has been after way too many cam changes trying to find the Holy Grail.The only real way is to increase the Cubic Inches.I have tried twice 80" out to 93" great for a while! 93" to 124" a lot better for a lot longer.Now 124" to 155" scares the living begeesus out of me.I finally found my Holy Grail!!! Yee Haa!!! Have fun trying to find yours! Dog155

Old 04-09-2007 | 01:21 PM
grinner
|
Road Captain

I view the cam change as a one-and-done because I can't do it myself, and it's prohibitively expensive to repeat.

I like the term "butt-dyno." My goal is to customize the bike to me. What better customization than to optimize power for the rpm range where I operate the bike?

I'm having inexpensive PCIII, K&N, andRush 1.75" slip-ons (keeping stock crossover) installed by FuelMoto in 2 weeks. I expect this upgrade to be quite a difference from stock and nothing in this combo is anti-torque. A 2:1 exhaust would be marginally better, but I don't like the appearance.

I hope the PCIII will be a long-term solution, but I'm prepared to junk it and upgrade to wideband closed loop system in the future if there's a compelling reason to do so.

I think there are great solutions for cams and wideband EFI now, but we should see further innovation over the next 12-18 months in these areas for '07+ bikes. Maybe I'll do the cam and wideband EFI as a single upgrade a year from now...