Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big bore or cam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007 | 10:22 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Big bore or cam?

Both 26g and 37g are very commonly used on stock and modified touring bikes. The difference in the two is very subtle.
Do some more research and install gear drives at the same time.
If you are not aware, the gear drives remove the cam chain adjusters, so no one will ever have to go in and check the adjusters for wear. If you keep your bike for long enough , saving on the labour to inspect the adjusters several times over the life of the bike, the gear drives are basically free.

Old 04-08-2007 | 10:24 AM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior

If if were me and you mentioned the desire to haveTQ andHP once your bike is done, and only change cam once. I'd give the Andrews 37G some serious consideration, it's going give you more TQ than you have now with stock cams, something that gets lost when compareing the 26 and 37G's( 26G's out TQ it down low but flatten out sooner than stock cams I've read ) The 37G's will out TQ stock cams and give you a very wide powerband that will enhance future mods IMHO. It'll give you that kicked in the *** feeling above 3000 like when you're passing those couple of slow *** cars and only have that short straight to do it in With stock CR the 37G is the classic overachiver you'd be very happy with it and would have a lot of room to grow and it is a bolt in and comes in chain or gear though gear would be my suggestion. Good Luck and I hope I've helped some!
Gilbo
PS
Sorry I confused your post with someone else's that saidthey wanted more TQ and HP when though, I still say you have a long stoke 96" that would really like the Andrews 37G sorry for any confusion, it is early and I've only had one cup of joe from what I've read on other forums the 96" really respond well to the 37G

Old 04-08-2007 | 10:45 AM
MI98FXDWG
Advanced

Read his post it says he "only" runs his bike in the 1500 - 3000 RPM range. If the 37G come in at 3000 RPMs he is not going to be utilizing the full capabilities of those cams. Not saying they are not great cams, just not for his type of riding.

Old 04-08-2007 | 11:00 AM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior

The 37's come in at 2200 rpm according to Andrews, it just feels like the transfer truck hits you at about 3000 rpm and besides it still makes more TQ down low than the stock cam, sorta like having your cake and getting to eat it too!!! Again OMHO At 55 to 60 mph i'm at about 2700+ rpm right in the sweet spot of the 37G's and you could if the urge hit you twist it out to 6000 rpmwith itpulling like a raped ape!!! The 37G is a very rideable cam and I still say it would give him room to grow while still giving him the TQ boost over stock he's looking for,The 37G is a little bit of a hot cam for a 88" motor but for a 96" motor is a lot closer to a 26G in an 88" they got the 96" by putting the 103" crank in themotor and leaving the 88" cyl. on it I think, if I wrong on this I'm sure that someone will correct me as they shouldbut the point I'm trying to make is this is a lot larger motor than the 88". Even compareing the 95"to a 96" is apple to oranges, displacement wasarrived at in totally different ways stroke vs bore,so the 37G would be a much more of a TQ cam in a 96" I love this board

Old 04-08-2007 | 11:13 AM
MI98FXDWG
Advanced

Well pardon me for butting in then. I guess I should have known the specs of the cams before commenting on them. I was just going on what you said when the power came on. Sounds like those would work just fine for him. Nice looking Road Glide by the way.

Old 04-08-2007 | 11:16 AM
grinner
|
Road Captain

Two different posters. Kern wants both HP & TQ. I just want torque. Yes, sometimes we have to pass semi's on 2-lane roads. But I can shift mid-way through the pass if it really matters. Chances are it won't. Last time I let the bike pull me all the way through a gear during a pass I went from 50-80+mph! I presently run my motor between 2000 - 3000 rpm at speed and a little under 2000 when I putting along at 25mph. That's really all I care about.

I think I've decided I'm going to wait until a touring cam is available that is specifically designed for the '07. I can only afford to do this once and there must be some optimization that can be done for the 96, since it does have different characteristics than the 88. (like it's already stroked, for whatever difference that makes to a non-mechanic like me)

Edit: By the way, the stock 96 pulls fine. I just want to optimize it for low-end. That's all.

Old 04-08-2007 | 11:21 AM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior

MI98FXDWGhope you didn't take offense as none was intended just two points of view and in your defence I had gotten two post confused

Old 04-08-2007 | 11:30 AM
MI98FXDWG
Advanced

No offense taken justdidn't want you to think I was trying to argue with you. I was just trying to make a point that just because you put a differant cam in that it is going to do what you hope for. That is why they make so many differant ones. You really have to match them up for the type of riding you are going to be doing or you are not going to be happy with them. But then again if you never change it out again you probably wouldn't notice any differance anyways.

Old 04-08-2007 | 12:03 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Grinner, you didn't mention what fuel/ignition management you are using: SERT, PCIII, etc. If you change cams (and this is definitely the mod that will give you the most hp/torque for the $$$) you will need to have the ECM re-calibrated to take advantage of the change and an HD reflash of the ECM is usually a waste of money or very poor value.

Also, true duals (Rinehart, Bassani, V&H) are hp and torque robbers; the stock exhaust system is superior to true duals for torque and hp for the rpm range we bagger riders use.

I have a bone stock 88 in my '04 EG with Rinehart TD's, SE a/c, and SERT. After installing Head-Quarters HQ-0034 cams,initial tuning has the motor at 84/93 hp and torque and expect to get 90/90.

But those numbers are simply for posting purposes; the true test is how muchfaster is the bike; how fast does the motor make hp and torque; not for racing purposesbut for riding purposes. My friend recently tuned an HQ 95" kit installed by and tuned by an HD dealer tech. The bike, as delivered to my buddy had a base line SERT data mode run done showing those numbers plus 0-60 time, g force (our butt dyno), etc. When my friend delivered the bike back to the owner, its 0-60 time was a second faster, the g force was increased 25%, and hp and torque were up but nearly as much as the power reflected in acceleration and g force (8hp and 12 torque) and the pinging that caused the owner to bring his bike to my friend was gone; and the owner left with a big smile on his face after taking the bike for a test ride.

I include my friend's tuning also to say that you can put lots of good components in a motor, but especially with EFI motors, the tune is very important to what we get from those components.

Old 04-08-2007 | 12:15 PM
Kern
Road Master

Hey grinner,
I think I hijacked part of your post. Unintentional by all means, I have been contemplating this same mod as you have. Sorry if I steered the guys away from the info you were looking for.

Thanks for thegreat info guys. I thinkI am going to go with the 37's with the gear drives.
Now, to find somewhere to pick them up.

Quick Reply: Big bore or cam?