Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive 944 personal set-ups

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014 | 07:17 AM
*Road King*
|
Tourer
Default Progressive 944 personal set-ups

lots of threads out there on these. I have had them installed for quite some time now. I wanted to touch base with those of you who also have them to see what settings are preferred for one-up and two-up. I am 230 on a good day and have them set to seeing only one line when riding one up. although the ride is better than stock it is still a bit stiff. I run the standard spring. I am no shock expert, but does turning the adjustment to having more rings showing give you any better of a ride or does it maker it stiffer on the bumps?

Old 08-13-2014 | 09:28 AM
gipper
Road Master

The more rings you see at the top, the stiffer the ride will be; so if you already have a fairly stiff ride, you definitely don't want to see more rings at the top hoping that you'll have a more plush ride.

Old 08-14-2014 | 06:12 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior

INstalled mine yday....I have 1 1/4 turn...which "just barely" shows one "line" ---I only got about 20 miles on it last night---I like the stiffness, but think I'm going to back it off that 1/4 turn and take a nice ride this weekend. From there, I may back it off more. I'm 205lbs

How many turns did you do from the very top? I took a paint marker and drew a line, so I could count.

Old 08-14-2014 | 07:47 AM
*Road King*
|
Tourer

I have run mine without any rings, still stiff but better than the stock shocks for sure. I have a set of 13" road king shocks in the attic, I am tempted to re-oil those, buy a set of 1" lowering kit and install them to see what kind of ride I will have.

Old 08-14-2014 | 07:58 AM
SavageChopper
Tourer

I have a '13 SG and set mine at 4 rings showing. I tried 2 but I bottomed out too much. There is a dip in a road by my house that will try to buck you off when you hit it, so use that spot as a tuning reference. With 2 rings showing I get launched about 4 inches off the seat. At 4 rings my butt barely leaves the seat. This I while riding 1 up. I should also add that I'm 180#. The stiffness you guys feel may be the shocks bottoming out.

Old 08-14-2014 | 08:30 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SavageChopper
I have a '13 SG and set mine at 4 rings showing. I tried 2 but I bottomed out too much. There is a dip in a road by my house that will try to buck you off when you hit it, so use that spot as a tuning reference. With 2 rings showing I get launched about 4 inches off the seat. At 4 rings my butt barely leaves the seat. This I while riding 1 up. I should also add that I'm 180#. The stiffness you guys feel may be the shocks bottoming out.
I'm positive I didn't bottom out---when I say stiff, I'm simply referring to a more planted ride, one that allows me to feel the road better, one that doesn't feel mushy, and when in curves and I hit a bump...the bike doesn't move around as before. I can feel the rear end---lots of feedback. I compare this to putting my Bimmer in "sport mode" versus "luxury mode" ...the ride stiffens up in sport mode.

I couldn't imagine being on 4 rings at 205lbs. With that many rings showing, I'd have way more than 1 inch of sag. If it works for you---great---but most guys I see with 4 rings are super heavy guys...alot of reviews on the forum have guys riding 2 up with about 2 rings showing and carrying a combined 300-350 lbs.

I have one of those ferocious bumps that I tested mine on when I installed y'day....I wont use that as a reference for setting sag/rings showing because that ferocious bump is not the norm on any ride I've ever been on.

Last edited by sfcmo357; 08-14-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-14-2014 | 10:08 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

I have the HD springs in mine, run at 1 ring when solo, two rings with the wife packed for a week. I tried three rings last week for a ride to Virginia, too damn stiff, back end was bouncing all over the place. Went back to two rings, and all was well.

I was surprised how much of a change I got from so minor of an adjustment, but I guess an 1/8" is not minor to these shocks.

Got home, TP and wife off, back down to one ring. I think these shocks are great compared to stock, just need to find the settings that are right for you and your ride.

Old 08-14-2014 | 10:24 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior

I have a question guys. I talked to two Progressive techs and they gave me advice on setting sag. I was prepared to lift the rear wheel off the ground and measure...then sit on the bike and measure and get 1 inch of sag.

Both techs said that this was a waste and to just stand the bike straight up off of the side stand, measure, sit on it, measure and to get my sag at 3/4 an inch.

What did u guys do? I told them that there are countless guys on this forum and alot of published literature on lifting the rear wheel off the ground and they both said---A WASTE and they don't recommend it. I used my lift to just pop the bike upright..the lift basically just kept it from falling over, but I didn't lift it at all off the ground.

Old 08-14-2014 | 11:09 AM
*Road King*
|
Tourer

showing more rings should reduce your sag.

Old 08-14-2014 | 11:30 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't go by rings I go my turns from fully ccw(no preload) to cw adding pre-load by turns.

Quick Reply: Progressive 944 personal set-ups