Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide 'Special' shocks vs Progressive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 08:43 PM
BKSinAZ
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2014 Street Glide 'Special' shocks vs Progressive?

When I bought my 2014 SG, I could not afford the 'special' which comes with a "Premium" shock.

Now it is time to upgrade my stock standard street glide air shocks which are garbage at best. I can't afford close to a $1000.00 for Ohlins so I was wondering...

How do the Harley "Premium" shocks on the 2014 Street Glide Special compare to the Progressive shocks? Which shocks between the two will be a better value/quality? 90% solo, 10% two up.

Last edited by BKSinAZ; 08-12-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Some information here.

Air shocks Vs. Premium Hand Adjustable (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

Old 08-12-2014, 09:19 PM
BKSinAZ
Tourer

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
Some information here.

Air shocks Vs. Premium Hand Adjustable (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Thanks, though I already had read that. No decisive answer in that thread IMO. The only thing that stands out in that thread is that the HD premium shocks are a bitch to adjust.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Nbdzhro
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, I had a 2013 SG, got a 14 SGS and just put Progressives on it. The wife said after riding on the 14 that the shocks were worth the slightly higher payment. Now with Progressives, she says that she doesn't get numb nor does her spine get jarred anymore.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:55 PM
BKSinAZ
Tourer

Originally Posted by Nbdzhro
Ok, I had a 2013 SG, got a 14 SGS and just put Progressives on it. The wife said after riding on the 14 that the shocks were worth the slightly higher payment. Now with Progressives, she says that she doesn't get numb nor does her spine get jarred anymore.
So If I am reading this right, you thought the progressives were better than the HD premiums.. right?

Old 08-13-2014, 09:54 AM
2014streetglide
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BKSinAZ
When I bought my 2014 SG, I could not afford the 'special' which comes with a "Premium" shock.

Now it is time to upgrade my stock standard street glide air shocks which are garbage at best. I can't afford close to a $1000.00 for Ohlins so I was wondering...

How do the Harley "Premium" shocks on the 2014 Street Glide Special compare to the Progressive shocks? Which shocks between the two will be a better value/quality? 90% solo, 10% two up.

I'm not a big fan of the SGS hand adjustable shocks myself. Which progressive shocks are you looking at? A buddy of mine has put on progressive 444 on his street glide. I rode his street glide for about 10 miles and I could tell a huge difference in the ride quality. A lot more smoother, but alas, they are around $600-700. If I could afford those, I'd have some. Anyone know if the 412's are better than the hand adjustable ones?

Old 08-13-2014, 10:57 AM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

JMO. It sounds like you have some money socked away, if it were me I would keep saving and get what you really want, you may be happier at first, but then regret not getting what you really wanted = more money in the long run.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:23 PM
evill1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Inbox me your price if you are looking to sell the stock shocks. In on an 05 electra glide could use an uptodate shock lol.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:31 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Save your money.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:48 AM
reg26
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do yourself a favor and buy the 13" Harley premium shocks. The 12" premium shocks only give you 2 inches of travel so no matter how good the shocks are there just isnt enough travel . I've had the 13" on my SG and no one cal tell it sits a little higher and there is a world of difference with the extra inch. The HD premiums are easy to adjust, much easier than the air shocks and no pump to carry around. Once you get them set up there will probably only be three settings so it's not like your doing allot of adjusting. I use 1 click or one full turn for solo riding. 12 turns for two up and 13 turns for two up loaded for a trip. Depending on your weight and passenger weight yours might be different and each click does make a difference. Took my wife and I one day to figure out for the best ride. Only problem with fitting the 13" premiums on the rear is after you do it the front will feel like chit and you will wanna upgrade those also.

Quick Reply: Street Glide 'Special' shocks vs Progressive?