Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide 'Special' shocks vs Progressive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 07:58 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

If your unsure why not test ride a 14 SGS? Then you will know how the lower 12" premium shock feels. If you love them get some, if you hate them then you just have to decide to wait and save for Ohlins or get the progressives. At least you would get a feel for what they are going to feel like.

I use the 12" premiums and love them, they were good enough that I didn't put my Ohlins 3-3's back on that I was running. You said that you read that the premiums were hard to adjust? Its one handle on one side, the Ohlins have both sides to adjust after you break them in and then you still have to set them for one up and start over again for two up. Ohlins are the better shock, but if you switch from one to two up a lot there a pain to keep adjusting. And I've never done it but have read they need to be rebuilt every couple of years, even Howard will tell you that.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:49 PM
OPDSam30
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me tell you what I did, A friend of mine changed out his 13” standard shocks from his 08 RK for progressive 944’s and he loves them. He gave me the 13’s and I put them on my 08 SG. I bought a lowering kit and dropped it 2”, which really equated to a 1” drop overall. After measuring the bike after the lowering kit was installed, I realized it only came down ¾ of an inch, which was perfect for me. I’m challenged in the height part of life and I only have a 27” inseam. With this mod, I can flat foot it with no problem and room to spare. For the first time in my life, I feel tall.

Then I read a post here on HDF about changing out the oil from the standard brand in the shock (HD says it CAN’T be done but from what I read, it can) to 7.5 or 10 weight Belray fork oil. Haven’t done that yet but the plan is to do it in the next few weeks. From what I read it’s like night and day and a lot less draining on the pocket book.

After the lowering job, I had to play with the air pressure a bit and I also had to change the out the seat screw because it was bottoming out and cutting into my tire. I went from 15 lbs to 25 lbs and it made all the difference in the world. I can only imagine what the difference will be once I change the oil. But since I got the shocks for free the total cost was about $40 for the lowering kit. You can find 13" shocks all day long on Ebay or Craigslist.

I also read about a guy who changed the oil in his 12” SG standard shocks and he was impressed as well. After the oil change there was only a need for about 8 lbs of air in the shocks according to his post.

I’ll keep you posted on the results after I do this mod.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:07 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I am saving for the Ohlins

Old 08-16-2014, 07:05 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts

I've had them all.... Couple of sets of Progressives, and both 12" & 13" hand adjustables. I've got just about 1,000 miles on my JRI B shocks now and it's not even close.

Save your money.