Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rinehart slip ons on an '07

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 01:14 PM
LarsAtTheBeach
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rinehart slip ons on an '07

Any members have the Rineharts slip ons only on an '07 bagger?

Is the SERT and A/C update necessary to reduce the heat issue. Is there any heat decrease or power gains from JUST the slip ons on an '07?

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2007, 01:26 PM
toyking23
Cruiser
Default RE: Rinehart slip ons on an '07

Yes,I installedRinehart slip-onson my 07 Ultra Classic at around 5000 miles. I rode with just the slip-on's for about a 1000 miles. Then I installed the A/C and Stage 1 download. I noticed a little difference with the slip-on's, but it could have just been the great new sound that allowed the bike to sound like a Harley. But I definitely noticed the difference after the down load, and filter. My wife and I rode last weekend from Terrell, NC to Helen, GA and I definitely noticed an improvement in the mountains and throttle response. The only down side ismy MPG went down. I only averaged around 33 mpg riding 2 up in the mountains. Which probably isn't that bad, I haven't done an mpg test running interstates yet. My only regret is, that I didn't do it sooner.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Yoman
Tourer

I've got an 06 Ultra with the Rhinehart S.O's and Stage 1. Anything you add to any of these fuel injected bikes that makes it breath better will also make it run lean...way lean, too lean for the factory fuel computer to adjust to. You must...must add some kind of fuel controller. I've got the SERT but I hear the PCIII is also good. What ever you add have it dynoed by a good tech and then you'll notice the difference.

Yoman

Old 04-07-2007, 02:11 PM
LarsAtTheBeach
Banned

I've heard that the '07 bikes have sensors on the head pipes that compensate for muffler replacement, and adjust the fuel mix accordingly. So do I understand it correctly, that if all I do is add slip on's, I wont have any lean/rich issues?

Old 04-07-2007, 03:33 PM
tackleberry1145
Advanced

no...you're gonna need a pcIII, sert or some type of fuel system mangement module to properly tune the bike. The sensors in the head pipes are O2 sensors

Old 04-07-2007, 05:07 PM
LarsAtTheBeach
Banned

So...a fuel management system and A/C upgrade is necessary for the addition of slip on's or what happens? The new slip on mufflers will turn yellow/blue? or the tips (Rinehart) will discolor?

Thanks

Old 04-07-2007, 09:52 PM
tackleberry1145
Advanced

By putting on slip ons, you are leaning out the engine even more than harley has from the factory...and you can feel how lean it is from the freakin ridiculous heat on the 07s.

By leaning out the engine you will create more heat, something the motor does not need. The additional heat can help speed up the purpling on the rinehart tips...but I have also been told that the purpling on the rines were from a bad bunch of anodizing. I would be more worried about causing long term problems internally for the motor than cosmetic issues with the pipes. A minor issue caused as well would be decel popping....maybe not immediately a major issue, but crap it is annoying!

It is something you may get away with without a problem, but I wouldn't want to risk it. I also wouldnt rush into the air cleaner/stage I stuff on an 07...if you end up doing a full exhaust, then maybe do that. It appears as if the oem air cleaner setup is more 'open' than prior years.

I can tell you that from my personal experience, adding the v&h slip ons and the SERT (properly tuned...) added a great deal ofrideability to the scoot, as well as getting rid ofa pretty good amount of the heat from the rear cylinder.

Keep in mind I am giving you this advice as a person who isn't super mechanically inclined, but I tend to listen to my mechanic and pay attention to things that he teaches me. Rideability and longevity of my bike are the most important things to me about my scoot.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: tackleberry1145

By putting on slip ons, you are leaning out the engine even more than harley has from the factory...and you can feel how lean it is from the freakin ridiculous heat on the 07s. Guess you weren't aware that you CAN install just slip-on mufflers and that the o2 sensors/integrators will modify the ECM mapping for this change, it's called ADAPTIVE FUEL..... And what do you constitute as LEAN????? The factory setting is at 14.6 for closed loop, and 11.5-13 for hard /heavy loads????? High heat is a by-product of DISPLACEMENT, lubrication, newness of motorand a lack of air movement....

I can tell you that from my personal experience, adding the v&h slip ons and the SERT (properly tuned...) added a great deal ofrideability to the scoot, as well as getting rid ofa pretty good amount of the heat from the rear cylinder.Do you think that maybe it had something to do with the rear cylinder being fattened up, along with the fact that the motor has broken in a bit????

Old 04-07-2007, 11:28 PM
06BlackWG
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I've heardfrom a bike mechanicand read on this forum, just adding slip-on's does not require any special tunning.

Adding more air with a better air filter will require a computer adjustment because the stock computercan't make that big of an adjustment. HDsuggests this on their web whennotingthat the SE air filter upgrade requiresthe dealer to retune the bike, but they do not make this note for their SE slip-on's.

I'm thinking about installing an egtsensor on my exhaust just to see what kind of temp's my bike is making. The gauge I have may look tacky but I can take it off and plug the hole after I find out, and the sensor tap can go where it won't be noticeable. Or, I can buy a decent looking gauge and leave it on.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:59 PM
serverpimp
Cruiser

I just purchased my 07' and immediately I needed more rumble. When I spoke to the parts guy about options he mentionedonly 3 slipons from the Screaming Eagle catalog that kept the bike under warranty but also said that only one of them was worth buying if a louder sound was what I was hoping to achieve.

Are you guys that are under warranty worried about the lean factor in adding these different exhaust components? And how does the fuel management changes impact the warranty? I would assume it would turn into a battle with the dealer if you ran into an engine problem that had anything to do with heat or running lean.

Quick Reply: Rinehart slip ons on an '07