Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Heat Wrap Question/Advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 12:53 AM
Warbird40
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exhaust Heat Wrap Question/Advise

I am looking to wrap my right, rear exhaust down pipe due to the fact that its very close to the passenger right floorboard and its uncomfortable for my wife. So I would like your advise on whether or not wrapping the rear down pipe with "header wrap" will negatively affect performance......figured I'd wrap the "header" and just cover it with the existing chrome shield. Will this lower heat enough to make my wife comfortable? Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Heat Wrap Question/Advise-2014-08-11-22.43.11.jpg  
Old 08-12-2014, 01:10 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

when I had my dyna street bob I just wrapped my headers and left the heat shields off, the wrap works pretty good . I don't think it will help or hurt performance. Look into the true dual conversion from fulsac performance , if you want another option.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:40 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It won't hurt performance.Whether it will reduce the heat enough to make your wife comfortable there's only one way to find out.Once you do it do not let your bike sit wet the wrap will hold water and accelerate rust.Easy enough to fix though, just run it for a few minutes after you wash it or ride in rain.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:56 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,065 Likes on 12,183 Posts

Having used it for a season I'm not a believer. I didn't use heat shields, just the wrap. The end result was increased discomfort for me and Cheryl. It was friggin hot! My hope was that the wrap would prevent melted rain pant legs. Nope. Didn't even slow it down and left a nice plasticky mess all over the wrap....which eventually burned off because, yes, it's so damn hot. When I took the wrap off I noted some pitting and discoloration (on the pipe) in the pattern of the wrap. I did as advised, ran it after it got wet. But still, it seemed to have aged the pipe faster than is normal.

It may be the case that not all wraps are created equal. But if I were you I would send the pipe out to be ceramic coated. I've heard good results can be had. Maybe search the topic.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:31 AM
62hdbiker
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Wrap it and put heat shields back on. I have 2 of my bikes that way, one for 12 years. Just run it after washing it to burn off water

Old 08-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,424 Likes on 2,765 Posts

Get the true dual headers from Vance & Hines, that solved the problem. Plus you end up with two header pipes with two heat shields, not that mess that the factory gave you stock on the bike with a zillion pieces and shileds.

I did it four years ago and the heat is greatly reduced. Only thing is it will make your bike louder. Good or bad depending on your preference.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:59 AM
Warbird40
Cruiser

Thank you all for the advise. I never ride my bike in the rain, she only comes out the garage when its nice and sunny. I will try the wrap since its cheap. If it doesnt help, I might go duals

Old 08-12-2014, 07:42 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 533 Posts

it didn't help my wife,it did rust the head pipe. also ran into another problem that i dont know was related or not,head pipe distorted so bad i had to replace it,went 2-1 no more complaints from the wife.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Warbird40
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
it didn't help my wife,it did rust the head pipe. also ran into another problem that i dont know was related or not,head pipe distorted so bad i had to replace it,went 2-1 no more complaints from the wife.
Strange.....I have never heard of a exhaust pipe getting distorted from heat. I have already dropped a lot of $ on the bike, I really want to find a solution to this issue before I drop money for duals. Thanks

Best regards,
Ed

Old 08-12-2014, 08:23 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Warbird40
Thank you all for the advise. I never ride my bike in the rain, she only comes out the garage when its nice and sunny. I will try the wrap since its cheap. If it doesnt help, I might go duals
Maybe you should add another riding condition - only ride when its nice and sunny AND really cool.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Heat Wrap Question/Advise