Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike stumbling like crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 06:06 PM
MrCancilla
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike stumbling like crazy!

Hey all,

I'm at a loss...just got my 06 electra glide back on the road after 2 years (true duals, spike air cleaner, Fi2000 injection module). Put new gas and plugs in and she fired up on 2nd try and ran like a dream...for 2 days...then she started popn & fartn on decel (sounds lean to me). Didn't have time to check it until the next day, but before I had a chance...she started misfiring and dropping out. Got her home, let her cool off and pulled the plugs. Rear cylinder was clean as a whistle, front plug was fouled. Replaced plugs and gave it a try...still stumbling. I decided to pull the Fi2000 to eliminate it from the list. Fired her up and she ran like a beast! Problem solved...for about 30 seconds and she went right back to stumbling! I pulled codes of P0118 (ET Sensor...ckd out ok), PO263 (rear injector...ckd out ok), P1356 (rear cylinder no combustion...ckd plugs, wires, coil, all ok) & B1005 (fuel sending unit...also ckd ok). Ran every test I could think of. Checked all my grounds, wiggled everything I could. What does it say when it ran great without the Fi2000 for 30 seconds and then back to stumbling? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-09-2014, 06:21 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,799 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Still sounds like fuel delivery to me.
Another idea: Did something crawl up an exhaust pipe and die in there?

Old 08-09-2014, 06:36 PM
MrCancilla
6th Gear

There was no disturbed dust (and there was lots of it) in the ends of my pipes, so it doesn't look like anybody made their way in there and I would think you would smell burnt critter! All I smell actually is too much gas. What does one fouled plug & one clean plug say?

Another thought: The only thing that has changed since 2 years ago (when she always ran great), was in my haste to remove the tank, I forgot to disconnect the fuel line and snapped the quick disconnect at the injector end, not the tank end. Nobody had the part, so I just used a hose clamp. Is it possible that the fuel pressure is being effected by something so simple?

Last edited by MrCancilla; 08-09-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:43 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,799 Likes on 9,866 Posts

The front is either getting too much gas or isn't firing properly. Too much gas would leave me to think of a messed up injector, maybe. Not firing properly would lead me to the wire or coil, but you already tested those. Just thinking out loud here, I'm no expert. Have you cleaned the throttle body thoroughly? The IAC can cause issues if not operating properly, but that would affect both cylinders.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:57 PM
MrCancilla
6th Gear

Yes...I did clean the throttle body. I've been trying to think outside the box, like...the gas tank has been empty for 2 years (but sealed off)...could a residue have formed on the inner walls and it have been activated and mixed with the new gas? Isn't there a filter in the tank? I've always used seafoam in my other bikes...I could throw some in for the hell of it.

Pondering...It just might be fuel related...I just started it again and it fires right up strong and you can hear it, but it fades in just a second or two. I give it throttle and it just bogs down. It seems to me like it's starving for gas and given that it's first symptoms were popping on decel, which usually means lean, I think I should concentrate on the fuel like QC was suggesting.

Last edited by MrCancilla; 08-09-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:06 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,198 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Yes there is a filter in the tank.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MrCancilla
Another thought: The only thing that has changed since 2 years ago (when she always ran great), was in my haste to remove the tank, I forgot to disconnect the fuel line and snapped the quick disconnect at the injector end, not the tank end. Nobody had the part, so I just used a hose clamp. Is it possible that the fuel pressure is being effected by something so simple?
I would be looking at this, and throwing some Seafoam in the tank.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

When you parked the bike (2-years ago)...you drained the tank...but did you run the bike to empty the fuel lines/injectors?

Could have some build-up on the injector jet...or residue in the fuel line that is clogging it up as fuel starts moving.

Just a thought.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:46 PM
MrCancilla
6th Gear

Well...I just found out something totally unexpected...even though I tested the wires, plugs & coil earlier...I just pulled the wire off the front spark plug and stated the bike...wouldn't you know it ran exactly as it does with the wire plugged in! I don't get it though...I have spark at that plug?

UPDATE: I have hot air coming out of the left exhaust (rear cylinder) and cold air coming out of the right exhaust (front cylinder). Obviously my front cylinder is not firing! I also dumped a half a can of seafoam in the tank and am letting it run (but is it harmful to run on one cylinder)?

Last edited by MrCancilla; 08-09-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:56 PM
hotline1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change your fuel filter and I second Seafoam it is the best I have used

Quick Reply: Bike stumbling like crazy!