Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

60 mph Sweepers

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 06:36 PM
ssgholl
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60 mph Sweepers

First I know the bushing questions have been overdone but my question is a little different.
I have had 2 softails, one being an 09 Fatboy. I had my girl on the back riding through the Southern California mountains, Palomar Mt. and we just felt at home and the bike tracked so well it would just make you feel so confident at wasn't funny. We actually ground away my floor boards away on that trip.
Recently I bought an 06 Road King because EVERYONE said it was the king. My buddy has one and swears by it. Mine has 16k miles on it and I have to admit riding around town or up a straight highway, it is the best.

Just as everyone on here says mine has the freeway speed sweeper turn wobble. It scares the heck out of me. I have never felt this on my Softail models. I have read post on here until my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy but I have to fix this or I am going back to a Softail. I am a Master Mechanic on cars and I understand to the fullest what is going on with the rear swing arm.
My question is... I see lots of people have put on everything from rear stabilizer links to bushings and front motor mounts. But I see that everyone says it didn't take all the wobble away. Most everyone seems to state that "Almost" all of the wobble is gone.
I rode solid mount Sportsters around and I never felt the vibration was all that bad. So I wonder if I would get more of the wobble out with bushings? I want the most wobble GONE. I know it may vibrate more with bushings but which takes more of the wobble out ..... Bushings or Stabilizer.
I know this has been beaten to death but no one has actually answered which one actually makes the bike ride more stable and track right. If the Stabilizer takes 80% of the wobble out will the Bushings like Sta Bo take out 93%????
Like I said after riding Sportsters and Softails I just cant have this on my Road King or It is gone and I will go to a Heritage. I never felt like my 09 Softail vibrated at all.. I never even paid attention to it. so if I have to make my Road King vibrate a little more to get rid of the wobble I am all for it..

Old 08-08-2014, 07:06 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

Tire condition and inflation can contribute to this problem. How many miles on your tires? How careful are you to check and maintain tire pressure at the book value as a MINIMUM? Your gauge might read higher than the actual pressure.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:19 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

Tires, tire pressure, shocks, front end & the condition of the engine motor mounts are something to check out. I'm sure the stabilizer will help but if you're running stock shocks, you might think about upgrading. Good luck.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:22 PM
ssgholl
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess that I should have wrote that the tires are new, balanced and good. I even bought the Harley pump to check the rear shocks. I took windshield off. I have no weight in my bags at all.
I have checked it all and I am convinced it is the rear swing arm has lateral movement from the poor design.
I would just like to know which after market device has everyone had experience with that takes the MOST wobble out.. That is the device I want to go with. If it vibrates more, I don't care. The wobble is unlivable in my eyes.
My friend has a Road King also and says his doesn't wobble but he has never been on a solid mounted bike to know the difference. I can tell the wobble is there like there is no tomorrow.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:28 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,832 Likes on 19,326 Posts

Bagger Wobble Exposed is an excellent thread to read ... http://www.true-track.com/ is also a viable option ... Do not forget to go over all the components in the chassis and suspension to ensure that they are in good condition and pressures and torque values of fasteners are correct

Old 08-08-2014, 08:52 PM
blackeg84
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would stay on top of tire pressure regularly. And two words for you bagger brace. Very good product and it helps the bike handle great i wil do 70 or 80 in sweepers and it rides well.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:19 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I studied the problem as well as all the 3rd party solutions. I went with the bagger brace as well.

http://bitchinbaggers.com/products/bagger-brace/

Old 08-08-2014, 10:15 PM
72Norton
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got back from a 11 day 3000 mile trip on my 07 RK from LA up to Coos Bay, Oregon along the coast then over to Crater Lake and back and forth over the Sierra ' s over the passes on the way back. I never had any wobble and I ride pretty fast. There's not much straight rode at all in that 3k miles either. As far as tires go, the front was pretty new but I wore the rear to the chords on Sonora pass and limped all the way back to Reno and had it changed. Never had any wobble that wasn't from road conditions. I do have progressive monotubes in front stock height and 13" 444 in the rear. I really think the soft flopping stock shocks might be a lot of your problem. I hope you get it sorted because mine has 35k miles and is comfortable as can be and rides like it's on rails. Sorry not your experience yet.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:19 PM
kq2dc7
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does your road king have laced wheels? If it does then check the spokes they can work loose and cause wobble.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:03 PM
silent1
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I had the wobble too. It scared the hell outta me and wrecked my confidence for a while. Then I got the Glide Pro installed, and now I can take sweepers at 80+ no problem.

Quick Reply: 60 mph Sweepers