Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

black rinehart tip turning purple?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Ruttrow
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: black rinehart tip turning purple?

I agree with mrwizard. UV issue. I deal with anodizing on a daily basis and stuff that is/has been exposed turns color. There are different types od dyes and some do better than others. I have seen parts that have been sitting on a shelf turn color when exposed to sunlight.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:45 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I had the same thing, called them and they did an exchange with NO problem....

Old 04-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that happened on my 04 Ultra but I sold it and my 07 has not done it yet so I'll just hang in there.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:22 PM
LOU
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Dalton

They are not supposed to change colors. The tips are anodized and Rinehart had had some issues withthe tips changing color. Both on my 03 changed color, I called Rinehart and they shipped new ones to me at no cost.
I stopped by BUB headquarters in Grass Valley before I purchased my True Duals; I was told that the changing color issue has been resolved and they would replace any problem endcaps. I haven't tried getting any replacements yet.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:07 PM
mrwizard
Advanced

I tried to get replacements and ran into the typical red tapea company uses to keep from having to cough up parts for which they have not received money.. My caps are "bronze" in color now and when I contacted them they provided me with a list of things I had to do including providing the original sales slip. Instead of doing the right thing and replacing the KNOWN defect they make the customer dance to prove that it is a warranty claim. (Mine was in warranty (10 months) but I didn't know where the sales slip was)

My reply: I took the Rineharts OFF THE BIKE and threw them in the corner of the shop to turn into rust. May their company rot too. Problem solved.....and I can hear again!

Old 07-19-2007, 07:18 AM
Wags1
Tourer

Put a set of Rinehart S/O's on back in May. By June the right tip was turning purple, it's almost gold now. I called Bub and after faxing them my receipt (fairly common practice to ensure that the product is still within the warrenty period) they said they would ship out a new set of tips. After three weeks and not hearing from them I called them back. They said that they are sending out a complete set of replacement S/O's. Something about a new manufacturing process that changes not only the tips but also the baffles to prevent premature rusting.

As to the cause of the color change, if it really was caused by UV wouldn't the underneath part of the tip stay black as that is always in the shade? My right tip is turning color uniformly all around.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:35 AM
rottnutz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt the UV rays had anything to do with it. It's likely the anodizing process that's now been remedied and heat. I was a little concerned purchasing mine, but after 600 miles I haven't seen any indication of color changes. They look and sound great..

Old 07-19-2007, 07:43 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The right tip is more exposed to the sun than the left when the bike is parked. The left gets some "shade" from other parts of the bike.
Hhhmm.........I wonder why my left tip has changed colors and my right one is still black?

Brandanfinn, wanna trade? At least that way we would each have a matching pair.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:54 AM
smeerdude
Cruiser

I had the same problem, they sent me a new set and so far they are still black, I will report back after a few weeks of ridding. Hopefully they fixed the issue.[/align]

Old 07-19-2007, 08:07 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to agree with the UV. I had heard that before and really didnt think that was the case but now mine have just a slight tint of purple but just on the top half, if I look at the under side they are black. I have bit the bullet and ordered these. By the way I got my Rineharts since they stated they solved the problem. These new tips have a triple process powder coat on them.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19036/A6744EFFC68E4E91B363686613465D44.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: black rinehart tip turning purple?