Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help Vermont Green Serpent

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 07:28 AM
jlacasci
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help Vermont Green Serpent

Does anyone know the route numbers of this famous ride? I'd like to do it this weekend. All the info I can find on it is a tour with the Killington Classic. It is supposed to cover four of the best gaps in Vermont, with over 500 turns and its around 120 miles round trip.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 08-07-2014, 11:26 AM
dodger413
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

http://www.motorcycle-vermont.com/ro...lington-twist/

not sure if this it or not, different name but sounds mighty similar. good map of route

Old 08-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't done that specific ride. The four best gap rides from south to north are Middlebury Gap (Route 125), Lincoln Gap (Lincoln Gap Road between Bristol and Warren), Appalachian Gap (Route 17) and Smugglers' Notch (Route 108). They intersect Route 100 on the east end of each route. I like Lincoln Gap the best and Smugglers' Notch is unique with the road winding around boulders near the top. A good spot for lunch is the Long Trail Brewery just west of the intersection of Route 100A and Route 4.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:28 PM
themooser98
Road Captain

Never heard of this Green Serpent ride, must be a catchy name for the tour company. One thing I can tell you is that the road conditions going over the mountains and gaps really suck, most of the road conditions in Vermont suck even though they are working on a few!!

Old 08-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Woodchuck
Road Master

Avoid Route 100 between Wilmington, intersection of Rte 9 and 100, and East Jamaica, Rte 30 and 100. There's road construction on that section and it's down to dirt for a couple of stretches.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:02 PM
jlacasci
Tourer

Thanks folks.

Joe

Old 08-21-2014, 01:29 PM
MadIrish
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woodchuck...thanks for the heads up, was gonna go that way this weekend. IF, by any chance, you remember it, when the construction is done, let us know, was hoping to do 100 from end to end this fall.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:49 PM
VTbiker
6th Gear
Default Vermont Green Serpent

The Vermont Green Serpent is a name made up by the organizers of the Killington Classic (Americade). I have lived in the area my entire life and never heard it called that until their advertising this year. If you add Brandon Gap (Route 73) to the routes Woodchuck listed you will have ridden the "Green Serpent".

Last edited by VTbiker; 08-21-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master

A semi filled with sand and headed for Stowe got hung up near the top of Smugglers' Notch closing the road for quite a while. A couple of the trailer axles were destroyed as he tried to mash his way over/through boulders. The truck had to be unloaded before attempting to free it. They showed workers cutting off one of the axles on local news. No way a semi is going to get through there. Yes, it's clearly posted at both ends.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:52 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,232 Likes on 1,846 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodchuck
A semi filled with sand and headed for Stowe got hung up near the top of Smugglers' Notch closing the road for quite a while. A couple of the trailer axles were destroyed as he tried to mash his way over/through boulders. The truck had to be unloaded before attempting to free it. They showed workers cutting off one of the axles on local news. No way a semi is going to get through there. Yes, it's clearly posted at both ends.
Some folks simply can't/don't bother reading signs. I can't imagine any idiot attempting 108 in a truck. Once getting to the first turn, I'd be backing out (that is if I was stupid enough to not have seen the warning signs). Was just over that route again this past weekend when staying in Stowe with soos.

Quick Reply: Need help Vermont Green Serpent