Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:32 AM
GungHo-HD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Question

I am planning a 14 day trip at the end of this month which I will probably travel 1500 to 2000 miles. I bought new Dunlup Elite tires last September and they now have 8000 miles on them. The front is at 4/32 and the rear is at 3/32 right in the center of the tire. Extending outwards there is much more tread on both tires. The wear pattern is excellent no weird cupping or un roundness going on. My question is should I replace the tires before I go on the trip or finish using them up. Its not the rainy season yet so If I did get caught up in rain I could probably just wait it out. The tires still seem to be handling good.

Any thoughts? I have found a HD-Dealer that will sell me the Dunlup Elites for 198.00 out the door Installed. Or looking at JP cycles I can get the Mich cmd II tires for 199 for the rear and 138 front. I could have my local cycle shop mount and balance them for me but have not checked into the price yet. Seems like I'm only getting about 9000 on the stock Dunluos so I am willing to try the Comander II tires

Old 08-07-2014, 07:21 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jakewilson.com for tires hands down. Free shipping in 3 days 40% off retail. I got Dunlop American elites on mine from them and they are amazing tires.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:57 PM
GungHo-HD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CSS_FXD
Jakewilson.com for tires hands down. Free shipping in 3 days 40% off retail. I got Dunlop American elites on mine from them and they are amazing tires.
Jakewilson.com seems to have great prices. I'm only getting 8 to 9 k on my Dunlop Elite tires, what do you like so much about them?

Old 08-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

This is a dilemma that all of us have had, at one time or another. For me, safety in #1 main concern. And, just because it's not raining where you're at, doesn't mean it won't be hailing or hurricane where you're going. IMO, I would go ahead and get new tires and pump it up with more air. I'm not sure where you have your air pressures, but I keep my front at 38psi and rear at 42-44psi. I've been using these settings for the past 10 years and always gotten at least 10,000 miles on my rear tire. And, about 32,000 miles on the front.

Originally Posted by GungHo-HD
I am planning a 14 day trip at the end of this month which I will probably travel 1500 to 2000 miles. I bought new Dunlup Elite tires last September and they now have 8000 miles on them. The front is at 4/32 and the rear is at 3/32 right in the center of the tire. Extending outwards there is much more tread on both tires. The wear pattern is excellent no weird cupping or un roundness going on. My question is should I replace the tires before I go on the trip or finish using them up. Its not the rainy season yet so If I did get caught up in rain I could probably just wait it out. The tires still seem to be handling good.

Any thoughts? I have found a HD-Dealer that will sell me the Dunlup Elites for 198.00 out the door Installed. Or looking at JP cycles I can get the Mich cmd II tires for 199 for the rear and 138 front. I could have my local cycle shop mount and balance them for me but have not checked into the price yet. Seems like I'm only getting about 9000 on the stock Dunluos so I am willing to try the Comander II tires

Old 08-07-2014, 03:49 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have got 17,000-19,000 on the last two sets of Elite 3 before the front cupped bad enough that I had to replace them. I'm trying the Michelin Commander 2 this time. I can't tell much yet as I only have 5,000 miles on them so far.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:11 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

I would run em, and consider replacement once I got back

You have a lot of tire left

Old 08-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 183 Likes on 138 Posts

Run them. I have 16k on my American Elites right now with plenty of tread left.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:15 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

use em up on the trip, there are plenty good for that.
Get new ones after you return, probably at the end of the season.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,147 Likes on 3,669 Posts

Leave them on, **** you have plenty of life left in them...no use wasting a good tire...

Old 08-07-2014, 07:16 PM
GungHo-HD
Cruiser

Okay here is the deal. I bought my first bike ever used with 2950 miles on it which is a 2011 Ultra Limited as you can see in my signature line. It had the stock Dunlop tires on it.

I went to the dealer Capitol Harley in Lansing Mi at 9443 miles on it for my 10k check up and they told me that I needed tires so I said fine replace them with the Dunlop Elite. With out shopping around I paid a total of 794.15 for a 130/80B/17B SW(408F) & 180/65/B16 SW

Rode the bike home and had a vibration and took it back to them and they said that they checked everything and said that there was not a vibration that I was out of my mind. Rode the bike for another few days and could not stand it any longer so I took it to a local shop and they found that the brake caliper was hanging up. Cost me just under $200.00 to have the caliper rebuilt and new pads installed.

Now not even a year later I have put 7,774 miles on the bike.

I ride two up most of the time. I weigh 170 the wife weighs 120 so we are not all that heavy. I do mostly 60 to 100 miles at a time with weekend trips running around 500 to 600 miles. It seems that I am not getting good tread life at all. I run 38psi front and 42psi in the rear checked cold and I check them once a week.

Front 408F With Gauge

Front 408F

Rear with Gauge

Invoice

So I am wondering now did they sell me the Dunlop Elite tires just regular Dunlop's ?

I've shopped online now and I see that the STEALER-SHIP totally ripped me. I also recently got a quote from another HD-Stealer-ship and they quoted me 198.00 mounted and balanced out the door including tax for what I have above.

I got another quote today from a local custom shop and they want for the Michelin Commander II 265 rear tire 188 front and 150 labor to mount and balance plus 6% sales tax thats 603 plus the tax.

Better price but still high compared to buying online at around 200 for the rear and 140 for the front but I would have to figure out a way to mount them. So 340.00 for the tires that I would like to try.

Can you guys tell me the best route to go on this? Should I buy online and try to find someone to mount and balance them? I am mechanically inclined and have a jack but never have pulled my tires off before. I own a manual which I am sure would explain exactly how to do this however I still do not have a way to balance them.

Any thoughts on this as it seems that I should be getting better millage and it sucks having to pay 600 to 700 dollars for tires every 8000 miles +or - some. Heck thats .10 cents a mile for my current set which is ridiculous in my opinion. I would love to get 10k to 15k like I see in a lot of other reviews.

Quick Reply: Tire Question