Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

polished lower fork sliders

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:48 PM
RANDIT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polished lower fork sliders

after looking on the forum at someone that had polished the lower forks on his wide glide i took it upon myself to try it on my street glide. I am very happy with the results. they now shine like the chrome uppers and all for about 20 dollars worth of sandpaper and probably 10 hours of labor. im buying a new computer tommorrow and when i get it up and running i will post some pictures. it did take me a little longer than i thought it would but i no longer have the weld lines on the brake attachments or fender attachments. now i just have to buy some chrome caps and bolts and its all done for a whole lot less than chrome lowers.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:53 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: polished lower fork sliders

I usually just pull the fork legs, strip the clear with aircraft stripper and then buff with my bench buffer. With a buffer, you can polish out both legs in less than 2 hours.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:56 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

I dont think Ive heard of that? I take a small dab of mothers mag/alum polish and lightly work a small area. then all this black stuff comes off onto the rag and the area looks like chrome. some one gave me this tube of polish one time but thru it out cause had all this gritty stuff in it and thought it would scratch. Sand paper sounds scarry[:-]

Old 04-06-2007, 09:58 PM
RANDIT
Cruiser

its all wet sanding starting at 400 grit and going through 2000. all the cast marks are gone now and i dont have any of the deep holes (pits) in the forks they look much smoother now.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:01 PM
RanD
Tourer

Sandpaper? What grit?

Old 04-06-2007, 10:04 PM
RANDIT
Cruiser

use the 3m wet and dry sandpaper starting at 400,600,800,1000,1200,1500, and 2000 then polish with flitz or aluminum polish till it shines like chrome and lots of water

Old 04-06-2007, 10:10 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

that sounds doable. The mothers or comparable was a trick an ol biker showed me a long time ago. the trick is not to rub hard or large area. then after a minute the area turn black(like flashes to an oxidation level) and wipe it off with clean side of cloth. go to next area and so on. The next time you do it its a little easier if ya keep up on it. Thank god its just fork sleeves!

Old 04-06-2007, 10:15 PM
RanD
Tourer

Thanks Kerry. I'm going to give it a whirl. Years ago, I used Mothers to polish the aluminum outer primary on my shovel head. It was a lot of work, but worth it. Did you pull the lower legs off or just do them on the bike?

Old 04-06-2007, 10:29 PM
RANDIT
Cruiser

i did them while they were on the bike. i removed the front wheel, brakes, and front fender also. im here in wisconsin and had nothing better to do because of uncooperative weather. a jack helps on the back also. i think i might try to polish the rotors next

Old 04-06-2007, 10:49 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 1,601 Posts

You going to clear them now? They'll oxidize pretty fast if you don't.

lp

Quick Reply: polished lower fork sliders