Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front tire on the wheel backward, handling effects?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Rain
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front tire on the wheel backward, handling effects?

Had the dealer install new tires on the bike when I bought it. I've felt something wasn't right with the way it handled from the beginning but they say it's fine, typical story.

Was riding slow tonight hitting the front brakes and noticed a surge in braking similar to warped rotors on a car. It has 36,500 miles so I suppose the rotors could be warped (I swapped the pads out a while back but not the rotors). While looking at them I started looking closer and noticed the Harley Dunlop D402F is on the wheel backward. The rotation arrow is pointing backward instead of forward.

I'm guessing that with 10,000 miles on the tire if I have it flipped around right it isn't going to last long, anyone know about that? Also, what handling effects would it have on the bike with the tire backward?

Going to take it back to the dealer and tell them I need a real good deal on a new tire as they mounted it wrong some time back. It has good tread left and I have the receipt.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:47 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think I've ever gotten 10K from any Dunlop. Unless you're running a directional rim, you don't have to unmount the rubber; just spin the whole assembly. If that's what they did wrong when they changed the tire, you've been running the rotors the wrong way all this time, too. If you'll notice, they're directional also

Last edited by SeaZund; 08-05-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:51 PM
ThisIsMe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to double check here. The arrow is suppose to be pointing in the direction of rotation when the bike is moving forward.

Directional tires are such for rain shedding and turning them back around should not matter. A directional mounted backwards should not effect ride, unless in rain as far as I know.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:57 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

tire casing are wrapped- just kinda like a roll of tape.

the reason for direction is so that under the normal forces encountered, the wrapping will be tightened, rather than loosened.

so for the front tire, that is the tail of the wrap in the same direction as rotation- the front tire see highest forces under braking

the rear tire sees highest forces on acceleration- the tail of the wrap is opposite direction as rotation

a tire casing coming apart could be pretty interesting when you only have 2

I'd have that looked at, probably replaced

I was reading up on tread patterns and the reasoning behind the "reverse tread" on the D408F is for enhanced water shedding when the tire is leaned into a curve with the bike.
the thought being that a conventional tread pattern would increase water to the contact area on what would be the side of the tire

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-05-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:40 PM
Rain
Tourer

Originally Posted by SeaZund
I don't think I've ever gotten 10K from any Dunlop. Unless you're running a directional rim, you don't have to unmount the rubber; just spin the whole assembly. If that's what they did wrong when they changed the tire, you've been running the rotors the wrong way all this time, too. If you'll notice, they're directional also
I went back through my records and don't see where I've ever changed the front so if not it has 18k miles on it and still has decent tread. Maybe I lost a receipt. I know I changed the rear a few years back and it's on correctly, did it myself.

I've attached a picture of the front end. Is the rotor backward? Also, looking at the spacers between the fork leg and the wheel this doesn't look quite right. Notice the gap between the spacer and fork leg on the right side and no gap on the left? For what it's worth the valve stem is on the right side of the bike.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Front tire on the wheel backward, handling effects?-wp_20140805_22_20_17_pro.jpg   Front tire on the wheel backward, handling effects?-wp_20140805_22_20_35_pro.jpg   Front tire on the wheel backward, handling effects?-wp_20140805_22_21_26_pro.jpg  

Last edited by Rain; 08-05-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:41 PM
Rain
Tourer

Originally Posted by ThisIsMe
Just to double check here. The arrow is suppose to be pointing in the direction of rotation when the bike is moving forward.

Directional tires are such for rain shedding and turning them back around should not matter. A directional mounted backwards should not effect ride, unless in rain as far as I know.
The arrow is pointing backward as in the direction it will go if backing the bike up.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:42 PM
Rain
Tourer

Originally Posted by mkguitar
tire casing are wrapped- just kinda like a roll of tape.

the reason for direction is so that under the normal forces encountered, the wrapping will be tightened, rather than loosened.

so for the front tire, that is the tail of the wrap in the same direction as rotation- the front tire see highest forces under braking

the rear tire sees highest forces on acceleration- the tail of the wrap is opposite direction as rotation

a tire casing coming apart could be pretty interesting when you only have 2

I'd have that looked at, probably replaced

I was reading up on tread patterns and the reasoning behind the "reverse tread" on the D408F is for enhanced water shedding when the tire is leaned into a curve with the bike.
the thought being that a conventional tread pattern would increase water to the contact area on what would be the side of the tire

mike
Great information, thanks! I was afraid of something like this. I was in the automotive industry when radials came out and used to see tires "unwind" when they would be rotated from side to side. Some think it's b.s. but I saw it more than enough to be convinced.

Last edited by Rain; 08-05-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:47 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior

your front rotor is correct

Old 08-05-2014, 10:51 PM
Rain
Tourer

Originally Posted by SeaZund
your front rotor is correct
Thanks. Any idea on the spacers with one having a gap and the other not?

Old 08-05-2014, 10:57 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Rain
Thanks. Any idea on the spacers with one having a gap and the other not?
had to go look, but mine look the same as yours

Quick Reply: Front tire on the wheel backward, handling effects?