Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires Hum when cornering

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014 | 02:58 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member

CUPPING:
Cupping, which is more accurately described as scalloping, is a natural wear pattern on motorcycle tires and it will always follow the tread pattern. It is not a sign that you have bad suspension parts. It merely shows that your tire is indeed gripping the road when you make turns. This scalloping takes place within the side wear bands of a leaned motorcycle. The extreme forces that come in to play when the bike is leaned in a turn are what produce the effect and when the wear becomes sufficient, one will experience vibration and noise when one banks into a turn on a scalloped tire. The leading edge of the tread grips the road and the rubber is scuffed off the tire in that area causing a depression. As the tire rotates, the pressure moves to the trailing edge of the tread pattern and the tire flexes there which causes less scuffing so less material is ground off the tire. The more complex the tread pattern, the more complex the scalloping pattern will be. The softer the compound of the tire, the sooner this scalloping will become evident. Radial tires are more prone to cupping than are bias ply because the compound of radials is more often softer. Improper balance has nothing to do with "cupping" on a motorcycle tire. Improper balance will merely cause your bike to vibrate at speed. Low tire pressure will exacerbate this wear pattern and you will lose many serviceable miles by running low. Check pressure often.

I run the Metzeler 888 and still have tire cupping. I keep 40 PSI in the rear (where my cupping occurs) and I don't have any handling problems in the twisties (or anywhere else for that matter).

Old 08-05-2014 | 03:05 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

My new rear Michelin hows in the turns above 40 if I roll it over were the first slash run out. ( and it's pretty loud) My front almost worn out Metzeler 888 has cupping right behind each slash. Does not see to hurt anything and I think they just wear that way due to the hardness of the tire. Least, it seems to be harder then a Dunlop. Squeeks on slick concrete when I push it out of the garage..

Old 08-05-2014 | 03:41 PM
Danny D
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
That's what my Dunlops sounded like. Got Michelin Commander II, No more singing.
Yes - What he said. The humming sound caused by cupping in the tire is also NOT covered by warranty according to Harley dealers (2). I still got 15K out of the rear tire and the front has just over 20K on the original factory Dunlops!

BTW - The tires only hummed when changing lanes, Not leaned over in a curve. Strange?

Last edited by Danny D; 08-05-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-05-2014 | 03:54 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ndnguyd
Love that sound... Means I am on a good twistie road.. Normal, ride safe..

Old 08-05-2014 | 04:10 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain

I had an independent tell me a cupped tire would quickly wear out my swing arm bushings/bearings. Never heard that before.

Old 08-05-2014 | 04:17 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by skypilot_one
I had an independent tell me a cupped tire would quickly wear out my swing arm bushings/bearings. Never heard that before.
And riding a motorcycle will cause you to become sterile! Find a new Indy....

Last edited by Red; 08-05-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-05-2014 | 04:27 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DaSchpiel
This happened to me as well. It was a little unnerving initially, but I soon realized that the majority of the miles on my tires were on fairly straight roads. And while in the twisty's the sides of my poor OEM Dunlops were actually seeing some road surface interaction.

After a couple days in the twisty's the sound went away.

Morale of the story - find more curvy roads to ride !!

I live in a flat area, you have to rub your tires in every so often while riding, ( lean to the left and right across the lane) to make sure your tires wear even. 12,000 on mine and no humming in turns (what turns I have, lol) Also make sure your tire pressure is checked once a week.

Old 08-05-2014 | 04:30 PM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member

It's normal have fun and ride safe

Old 08-05-2014 | 06:16 PM
Sam D.
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by skypilot_one
Low tire pressure cups and ruins tires. Causes hum in corners. Are you running your rear tire at 40 psi?

Yes, 40 in rear, 36 in front... religiously checked...
I now have 11,100 miles on my bike & tires...
I've put over 8300 miles on them this season and the howl hasn't gotten any worse since it
started at around 6500...

Last edited by Sam D.; 08-05-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-05-2014 | 07:26 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
That's what my Dunlops sounded like. Got Michelin Commander II, No more singing.
+1
Just got the bike back a couple days ago. On a short ride home, the Michelins seem much better. No more noise and they seem to handle very good too.

Quick Reply: Tires Hum when cornering