Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man this 96 puts out some HEAT!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Man this 96 puts out some HEAT!

ORIGINAL: mistermooster

I do all of my own maint and when I did the 1000 mile scheduled service the spark plugs were just scarey. It looked like the engine was running terribly lean (not a good thing huh) Talking to the mechanic at the shop he said Harley had to lean the bike down to a 17to1 fuel/air ratio to pass emissions. Normally I would want this at about 14to1.

Now, I'm no mechanic. Not even close. I was just going by what I've read elsewhere and passing that along as it pertained to the subject. If my numbers are off, ok. The point is, the '07's run lean out of the crate, and the engines will suffer if not corrected. And to say it's ok because Harley "sold it that way", as the post infers, is justpoor logic.

You cannot us the coloring of the plugs as a pertinant gauge of AF correction anymore....

With substandard fuels, higher voltages for ignitions, lower resistance plugs, the old addage of dry white plugs indicatean overly lean condition is no more....

You MUST use, at a minimum, an o2 "Sniffer".... Best to use a 4/5 gas analyzer.....

I have seen first hand how these "Plug Readers" get people in trouble....

Modern automotive electronics is by and far the hardest thing to grasp and accept, as the old school mentality is not easily overcome or forgotten...

Old 04-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

It changes the Volumetric Effeciency, Spark and Desired AF Tables of the map...

Old 04-08-2007, 01:44 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: PapaTravis

With the plastic sheild from kury, has anyone had issues with them breaking? I am a big guy and am affraid I will crack them and be out the money and time to install.
No, I don't think there will be a problem with breakage, but the fit is poor on my '07 SG. Note that the shields are not shown in my signature picture. The sidecovers wouldn't snap well after installing the shields, and my solution was to dremel the shield where it makes contact with the sidecover's snap connector. It isn't pretty, but when fitted the hack job is covered up by the sidecover. Kury includes some snap extenders that glue into the existing snap on the sidecover, but these didn't work at all, extending the connecting point much too far back, making the shields move around freely. But the glue didn't hold (defective, I guess) and I had to use some super-glue I had lying around. The installation was theoretically easy, but a real PITA in practice because of the poor fit of the shields.

These things work okay, but I think an oil cooler and EFI mod are more important to control the heat--the idea being to control it first, then deflect what's left. I installed a PCIII and have been tweaking it for months with success, and also installed the HD cooler with thermostat. Oil temps stay at 180° as long as I'm moving, and 210° is the highest I've seen so far in traffic, measured in the pan. The bike does not emanate excessive heat, and I don't sense much difference from my '96 RK (Evo), which ran very cool.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:22 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st of all, it was only 80 here yesterday, so was not the same as a hot august day. had my '07 UC out last august, and it was a really hot between the thighs (mine, not the wife's!!, so don't go there). this winter added V&H ovals, oil coolerand an AN BS. Installed a SERT and had it dyno't and there is a noticable drop in heat.the dipstick guage read 205 after a hard 2 hour run, twoup.I knowthe bike is running considerably cooler, and the extreme lean condition of the stock bike no longer exists due to the re-tuning.

Am pleased with it, anddon't anticipate that i'll have to add saddle shields, but willknow more this summer.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/93423279DCD5458197C4589B8212C424.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/D58D13D24F6340AFAE341AF753DD16C3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-08-2007, 04:32 PM
mistermooster
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Shovelhead Bob

ORIGINAL: mistermooster

I do all of my own maint and when I did the 1000 mile scheduled service the spark plugs were just scarey. It looked like the engine was running terribly lean (not a good thing huh) Talking to the mechanic at the shop he said Harley had to lean the bike down to a 17to1 fuel/air ratio to pass emissions. Normally I would want this at about 14to1.

Now, I'm no mechanic. Not even close. I was just going by what I've read elsewhere and passing that along as it pertained to the subject. If my numbers are off, ok. The point is, the '07's run lean out of the crate, and the engines will suffer if not corrected. And to say it's ok because Harley "sold it that way", as the post infers, is justpoor logic.

You cannot us the coloring of the plugs as a pertinant gauge of AF correction anymore....

With substandard fuels, higher voltages for ignitions, lower resistance plugs, the old addage of dry white plugs indicatean overly lean condition is no more....

You MUST use, at a minimum, an o2 "Sniffer".... Best to use a 4/5 gas analyzer.....

I have seen first hand how these "Plug Readers" get people in trouble....

Modern automotive electronics is by and far the hardest thing to grasp and accept, as the old school mentality is not easily overcome or forgotten...
The highlighted paragraph wasn't me, it was a quote from the coolclimbing.com website I used asone of the references for my "17:1" comment.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:27 PM
mtuck318
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First Harley Road Warrior?