Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beefing up drivetrain for 107 build?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014 | 02:53 PM
stic2it
|
Road Captain

So I waited a week for zippers and the guy started telling me tall tales about why he couldnt give me a price. So I gave fuel moto another chance and they knocked it out the park. 107 kit, b heads, clutch spring, aim vpc w/ 777 cams will be here Tuesday. They put it all in the mail within 24 hours, amazing turn around.

Old 08-09-2014 | 03:07 PM
stic2it
|
Road Captain

I will do the upgraded compensator while I am installing the vpc and clutch spring and all plastic tensioners while I have it broken apart. The only thing I have issues or worried about is the piston rings, c clips for the pistons and the adjustable pushrods. Wish I knew someone in my area who has done a BB kit but all the guys I know run to the dealership for everything. Definitely doing this job at home though, cause I used my install money for heads. Anyone know another step by step guide other than fuel moto YouTube videos? I want to see some other techniques, and some things they skip over for time purposes but I am as pink as they come

Old 08-09-2014 | 06:34 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

09 RG with Headquarters 107 compression releases, AIM vpc 92t, 10.5 comp, 121tq 110hp - 42k miles - not one motor
related problem

Old 08-09-2014 | 07:55 PM
equandt
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by stic2it
So I waited a week for zippers and the guy started telling me tall tales about why he couldnt give me a price. So I gave fuel moto another chance and they knocked it out the park. 107 kit, b heads, clutch spring, aim vpc w/ 777 cams will be here Tuesday. They put it all in the mail within 24 hours, amazing turn around.
You're going to love that kit. What a monster!

Old 08-09-2014 | 10:31 PM
stic2it
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lkr0
09 RG with Headquarters 107 compression releases, AIM vpc 92t, 10.5 comp, 121tq 110hp - 42k miles - not one motor
related problem
Nice, did they build it? How abusive are you on it. I hope I get that kind of reliability. Do you have an upgraded compensator installed?

Old 08-10-2014 | 12:22 AM
monumaker
Road Captain

128 hp 107 here... Only drivetrain upgrade is a baker attitude manual chain adjuster and a SE clutch kit. Mine is a '10 SG.

Old 08-10-2014 | 08:39 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

So to my question, what needs improvement to make a reliable build.
If you don't have an oil cooler, get one. Jeggs makes some very good units. I would (and did) get a Wards fan as well. That extra power puts out a lot of extra heat and it will mess with your bike. Knowing what I know now (had a 107) I wouldn't ride mile one without extra cooling capacity. Avoid using fangs on your forks which divert air from your motor.

Also consider that you may need to have your crank welded (not that I recommend doing it now - lots of guys running 107s with no issues). My 107 spun it's crank after about 10k miles. The cases need to be split and at that point I would have gone bigger had I not already done the 107. It's a slippery slope.

Consider what pipe you use. It can really affect your numbers. The D&D Fatcat is a great pipe for power. But, it was too loud for me. I switched to a Supertrapp supermeg with the equivalent of 30 discs (less restrictive) and it chopped 12 HP and about that much in torque off my numbers. 107s like to breathe.

Old 08-10-2014 | 08:46 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior

I will do the upgraded compensator while I am installing the vpc and clutch spring and all plastic tensioners while I have it broken apart. The only thing I have issues or worried about is the piston rings, c clips for the pistons and the adjustable pushrods. Wish I knew someone in my area who has done a BB kit but all the guys I know run to the dealership for everything. Definitely doing this job at home though, cause I used my install money for heads. Anyone know another step by step guide other than fuel moto YouTube videos? I want to see some other techniques, and some things they skip over for time purposes but I am as pink as they come
stic2it,
I did the FM 107 upgrade myself. There is a thread on here by by a member with a full writeup, I think his member name is Atrain. If you can't find it then PM me yoru email address, I have the whole writeup with pics in a pdf file.
That and the manual will get you through the build with no problems.

If you need some help I am only about an hour away from you it looks like depending on what DC suburb you are in. I can always come down and give you an extra pair of eyes and advice.

Just shoot me a PM.

Also I have some of the tools you may need, like the Gary Beatty inner bearing puller/installer, ring compressors, etc..

Old 08-10-2014 | 08:47 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

I replaced the comp (under warranty) in 09 with the same thing - not one problem with it -- lets say I've done my share of wheelies, rolling burnouts, and general mayhem -- I had it built prior to taking the bike by Kevin Baxter at (then) Stone Mountain HD - not one problem with it rode from Atl to CA in the middle of the summer - numerous trips out of state -- extremely reliable - I believe fuel moto has one of the best 107 kits out there -- I paid about $2800 back in 09 this is without labor
Nice, did they build it? How abusive are you on it. I hope I get that kind of reliability. Do you have an upgraded compensator installed?

Last edited by lkr0; 08-10-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-10-2014 | 09:06 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by nevada72
If you don't have an oil cooler, get one. Jeggs makes some very good units. I would (and did) get a Wards fan as well. That extra power puts out a lot of extra heat and it will mess with your bike.
I only have the wards fans on my build and my engine temps never go over 255 even in traffic. I'm not convinced yet that a oil cooler is needed using the Wards fan setup.

Originally Posted by nevada72
Consider what pipe you use. It can really affect your numbers. The D&D Fatcat is a great pipe for power. But, it was too loud for me. I switched to a Supertrapp supermeg with the equivalent of 30 discs (less restrictive) and it chopped 12 HP and about that much in torque off my numbers. 107s like to breathe.
I agree with this totally, and in fact am in the process of considering a Drago's Dragula 2:1 system for my bike right now. Teh scavenging will be much better with one of these 2:1 pipes then the stock 2-1-2 system and give you better low end torque from all my discussions with FM and Frank at Drago's

Quick Reply: Beefing up drivetrain for 107 build?