Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS brake line change for handlebar install?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 06:40 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts
Default ABS brake line change for handlebar install?

I've got new handlebars coming from BR Custom bars. Should be here in a couple more weeks. These have a lot more pullback than stock (I needed it with the drop seat) so I'm thinking I'll have to get a longer ABS front brake line. Would you guys recommend buying a longer line (from who if yes), or getting a kit to make it myself (also from who)? I have some experience with making hoses, so that's not out of the question, but I'm not wanting steel braided lines, just plain black is fine with me. I just figured out today that I'll be replacing the line running from the ABS box to the bars, so I'll have to remove the tank, right? Thanks for any help.
Jerry

Old 07-30-2014, 06:59 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

A Magnum 2 piece line from the ABS unit to the master cylinder. Yes, the tank needs to come off. Very easy job, 3 bolts and pop the fuel quick connect. I did mine, bled the system (Speed Bleeders) and no air entered the ABS unit. Just keep the lines (old & new) higher then the ABS unit while installing.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:14 AM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry L
I've got new handlebars coming from BR Custom bars. Should be here in a couple more weeks. These have a lot more pullback than stock (I needed it with the drop seat) so I'm thinking I'll have to get a longer ABS front brake line. Would you guys recommend buying a longer line (from who if yes), or getting a kit to make it myself (also from who)? I have some experience with making hoses, so that's not out of the question, but I'm not wanting steel braided lines, just plain black is fine with me. I just figured out today that I'll be replacing the line running from the ABS box to the bars, so I'll have to remove the tank, right? Thanks for any help.
Jerry
You can get a one piece line from Drag, I did a one piece 6 over for my 12's..

Old 07-30-2014, 08:14 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior

Thanks HDV-GLIDE. So they make them in two pieces so you can get the later hose in different lengthens to adjust? I'll check them out. Do you buy directly from them or a distributor? Thanks again for the info.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:15 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dochawken
You can get a one piece line from Drag, I did a one piece 6 over for my 12's..
Thanks doc. I'll check Drag too. I love this forum!

Old 07-30-2014, 08:39 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Check Eastern Performance, Direct Cycle Parts, etc for good pricing.....I did 6+ on the brake line and it was a tad overkill...4+ would work fine with 12" bars...

Old 07-30-2014, 09:07 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior

Thanks, guys!
Jerry

Old 01-07-2020, 08:38 PM
MattyB1972
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
A Magnum 2 piece line from the ABS unit to the master cylinder. Yes, the tank needs to come off. Very easy job, 3 bolts and pop the fuel quick connect. I did mine, bled the system (Speed Bleeders) and no air entered the ABS unit. Just keep the lines (old & new) higher then the ABS unit while installing.
Can you answer this please-
How did you replace the lower brake line exactly, I cant picture this process in my head and its driving me nuts?

Im about to replace my upper and lower ABS cables with the Magnum brand but just cant find a vid or a written how to.

Cheers