Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Vibration Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014 | 02:39 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior

In the beginning, the Harley design and 'feel' were a result of the best-engineering practices of the day. But nowadays I think it's all pretty calculated. Their genius, for me, is retaining enough of the 'rawness' to make things interesting, while also delivering what is overall a quality product.

We can spend time complaining about what things aren't. Or we can spend it enjoying what things are. I'd recommend to anyone, when it comes to a motorcycle, buy and ride one you enjoy for what it is. Applies to a lot of things, I guess.

As far as vibration goes, they could design a Harley to have little or none. But it wouldn't be the bike I love. They do a pretty good job of limiting the vibration on my touring bike, as is, enough so that it's not at all objectionable to ride.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 07-28-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2014 | 02:59 PM
DeluxeCruiser
|
Tourer

My softail Deluxe has no vibration at idle or at highway speeds. It is as smooth as glass.

The wife and I test rode a 2014 street glide that had the motor shake when at idle and she said she could also feel it while riding. She said it is so bad that she was unable to read signs and billboards due to the vibration. She also said that she felt like it churned up her stomache while we were on the test ride.

On the positive she did say that the touring model did smooth out or absorb more of the road bumps than our current Deluxe. I plan to get a 2015 Road Glide but it might be a tough sell to her due to the engine vibration.

I may tell her that it goes away once the bike is broken in.

It doesn't bother me all that much but I was wondering why the touring bikes had this motor shake and were not smooth like the softails.

Old 07-28-2014 | 03:25 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member

My first HD was a heritage classic. It was smooth up to about 70 mph. After running 80 mph for a few hours my hands would be numb from the vibration.

My SG shakes a bit at idle. It gets very smooth just above idle and stays smooth at any speed for any length of time.

I would never even consider going back to the B motor. The touring bikes are so much smoother at cruising speeds, especially above 70 mph, there is no comparison.

Dennis

Old 07-28-2014 | 03:35 PM
DeluxeCruiser
|
Tourer

I am still trying to figure out the mechanical side of things about this.

I would think that with the vibration at idle that eventually this would not be good for the motor or connections throughout the bike such as nuts and wiring harness etc.

Just seems to me if they can make the softails so smooth at idle and speeds that the moco would want that in the higher end bikes as well since most of the riders of these bikes tend to be older people that in turn are looking for comforts in a bike.

Old 07-28-2014 | 03:36 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DeluxeCruiser
Why do the motors vibrate in the touring models?

Why doesn't Harley put the counterbalanced or rubber mounted softail type motors in the touring models?

You would think if you are buying a high dolloar touring model that the company and the riders would rather have a vibration free type of ride in these models.

Anyone have any ideas or reasons behind this?

Thanks
smooths out above idle.
counter balancers rob power that isn't as noticeable on the smaller/lighter bikes.
for years (evo) softtails were not counter balanced and vibration was felt in the feet, seat and hands - increasing from 80 to 88 (twin cam) resulted in increase in vibration determined to be "too much". the softtail frames won't accept a rubber mount engine as the engine would bounce off the frame at idle so the 88 inch was delayed a year in the softtails while the "B" version was completed.

But you raise an interesting question... why not put a "B" motor in a rubber mount frame (i.e. touring or dyna). I've never heard, read, or seen this combination. Go for it and let us know how it works.

Old 07-28-2014 | 04:26 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DeluxeCruiser
I am still trying to figure out the mechanical side of things about this.

I would think that with the vibration at idle that eventually this would not be good for the motor or connections throughout the bike such as nuts and wiring harness etc.

Just seems to me if they can make the softails so smooth at idle and speeds that the moco would want that in the higher end bikes as well since most of the riders of these bikes tend to be older people that in turn are looking for comforts in a bike.
Take a look how the swing arm for the Tour and Dyna bikes is mounted and hangs off the transmission. Literal what holds the rear wheel on is the engine/transmission assembly and the two shock mounts.

Old 07-28-2014 | 06:29 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy

Just got back from a "short" 2,000 mile trip and the Road Glide Ultra was very comfortable, no fuzziness in the mirrors the only vibes were when the engine was cold. But, I also ride Dynas so I'm probably used to some vibes and just don't notice them anymore.