Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on my other bike.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 02:36 PM
tbone22
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on my other bike.

If this is inaproprate let me know. My other bike is a 91 suzuki gsxr1100 (oil/air cooled baby) and when it warms up everything cuts out as if you turned the key off. If you let it cool down power will come back, but only if you turn the key off and then back on as if you are resetting something. There is no overheat protection only a main breaker, but that never pops or needs to be reset. Ive been on other sport bike forums, but they don't know their arss from a hole in the ground. Anybody ever experiance anything like this on any bike they have had or worked on?

Old 04-05-2007, 02:37 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: question on my other bike.

No offense but I'm sure there's a Suzuki forum that could answer this for you. And would probably be faster. Good luck.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you mean that the bike "shuts off" suddenly (like a spark loss)
The easy way to check this would be to get an inline spark tester (with the little light) and see if when it shuts off that it lost spark, not ran out of fuel.
If you think fuel , just loosen the fuel cap and see if it starts back up and runs for a while and stops again.(bad fuel cap vent)
This would cause high vacuum in the tank and stop the fuel flow.
If the spark suddenly stops, try one other cylinder on a different coil and retest.
If your still dead , then check for voltage on the batt side of the coils. (power problem)
If you have proper voltage at the batt side of the coils (all of them for mutiples) then you have a "trigger" problem.
Most trigger problems occur inside an ignition module or trigger coil when the device gets warm and dies (goes open circuit)
All would be well again when cold.
You would have to know what the devices ohm resistance or cranking milivolts should be with a spec sheet (manual and wiring diagram)
The device would read good cold and probably out of spec hot.
Good question , wish I knew more about your specific bike,but this is what the procedure would be on most cars,boats,bikes,etc,blah,blah....
Good luck
Mick

Old 04-05-2007, 09:10 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah what Mike said. A bout possibles
There is a suzuki motrcycle forum. hope ok to post it here since it's not a harley
www.motorcycle-journal.com
Somebody there could help you in the mechanic section.