Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tire changing tools you using?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:38 PM
shurtman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tire changing tools you using?

I'm a stereotypical do-it-yourself-because-I-have-the-Internet and I'm not a moron kind of guy. Which means, every now and then I'm a total idiot and screw stuff up. But, I'm sick of paying for another moron to change my tires.

What's everyone using for tire changing? In my online searches I see basically 3 options - $50 tire irons/rim protector kits, $100-200 cheapo tire changers, and $500+ commercial changers. I figure at $75-100 per tire change (that' giving the new tire and wheel already off my bike to an indy) it's not going to take long to break even.

So...who uses what and why?

Old 07-21-2014, 08:53 PM
firsttwincam
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I have a coats motorcycle tire changer, I found it on Craigslist 5 or 6 years ago for $175 lol.

before I had that, I used 1 prybar, with a rounded nose, plus the handles from 2 large adjustable wrenches, changed many a tire like that, & now with the professional changer, I would never go back unless on the side of the road

Old 07-21-2014, 08:59 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a $500 tire and wheel warranty.

Oops... got a screw in my tire... get a free one. No charge tires. No charge labor.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:09 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

NoMar changer, hitch receiver mount.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:11 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 16,172 Likes on 5,018 Posts

I use the National City harley dealer tool

Old 07-21-2014, 10:03 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I have a Cycle Hill changer, the lowest priced model from No Mar, got it used, about half price with about all the accessories - and you really need that overhead arm that's optional. Doing five more tires this year, 5 last year, 2 or 3 the year before... yes, it's worth the money to me.

I've done it the hard way, but don't want to anymore, this just isn't any fun.

Some tires, especially the skinny 21" on my 1200, are a bit of a challenge to get started, so a couple good tire irons can still occasionally come in handy, but a lot of tires are so easy a kid could do it.

This changer includes a bead breaker that works just fine.

Comes in handy to hold the wheel steady when you're changing out bearings, too.

Also for holding it still while you polish things up.

A lot of folks, me too, use dyna beads or that gooey stuff in a can, but I still use the static balancer to find the "sweet spot" where the tire and wheel are the least out of balance; I just rotate the tire around the rim before I seat it. Also stick on some weights temporarily to see just how much dyna beads it really needs - that "1 ounce for X size wheel" may be approximate, but occasionally isn't enough. If it takes an ounce and a half of weights, I put in two ounces.

Yeah, takes a little time to do all this, but think of what you've got riding on those wheels... It isn't just the money to me to do my own tires, I want them done extremely well, with no consideration for how long it's taking. I also found a crack inside a spoke wheel rim while cleaning off some surface rust - you know a shop mechanic won't worry about a little surface rust...

Old 07-21-2014, 10:11 PM
NascarGuy
Supporter
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Harbor Freight tire changer. About $85 shipped with coupon. Excellent deal. Used multiple tires and no issues

Old 07-21-2014, 10:45 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shurtman
I'm a stereotypical do-it-yourself-because-I-have-the-Internet and I'm not a moron kind of guy. Which means, every now and then I'm a total idiot and screw stuff up. But, I'm sick of paying for another moron to change my tires.

What's everyone using for tire changing? In my online searches I see basically 3 options - $50 tire irons/rim protector kits, $100-200 cheapo tire changers, and $500+ commercial changers. I figure at $75-100 per tire change (that' giving the new tire and wheel already off my bike to an indy) it's not going to take long to break even.

So...who uses what and why?
3 tire irons purchased off ebay..work great 25$,..made my own rim protectors out of strips from a Clorox bottle, Amorall as a lube...large c clamp to break a stubborn bead....valve core remover...30$ total. I use my tire stand from the dirt bike to work off the floor..but had that for several years. When I am done I use Ridegel to balance. Cheap and simple

Old 07-21-2014, 11:15 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,000 Likes on 11,635 Posts

American Express Card.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:24 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Three tire irons from harbor Freight for $5 each. Dyna beads to balance. I only do maybe 2 tires every other year.

Quick Reply: What tire changing tools you using?