Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with V&H Power Duals

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 01:40 PM
eqcons
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Problem with V&H Power Duals

I've fitted a set of V&H Power Duals, and I cannot get the front port to stop leaking. V&H supply the Evo/SE type gasket, and even trying with two of these in the ports the front still leaks. The shape of the V&H header where it goes into the port is a little different to other headers, so I'm wondering if I can use the standard TC gasket, which, although it's not recommended by V&H stands a better chance of sealing I hope.

Anyone used the standard TC gasket with V&H headers successfully?

Old 07-21-2014, 01:53 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 315 Posts

I used the gasket supplied by V&H for mine.
No issues with any exhaust leaks.
No reason at all to try and use 2 gaskets. That will very seldom work, and if it does not for very long.

Are you sure you got all of the old gasket out?
No disrespect intended, but I have heard people say they did only to find parts of the old gasket still stuck to the exhaust port.
Take an ice pick or something similar and scrape all around the port, making sure it is clean.

The other possibility, is somehow the pipes are "tweaked" and not wanting to sit flat in the exhaust port.
I leave the exhaust port nuts very loose, until I get all other pieces of the pipes lined up and tightened (making sure the port flange is as flat in the exhaust port as possible).

Then go back and tighten the exhaust port nuts.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:58 PM
eqcons
Tourer

Originally Posted by RollaMo
No reason at all to try and use 2 gaskets. That will very seldom work, and if it does not for very long.

No disrespect intended, but I have heard people say they did only to find parts of the old gasket still stuck to the exhaust port.
Take an ice pick or something similar and scrape all around the port, making sure it is clean.

The other possibility, is somehow the pipes are "tweaked" and not wanting to sit flat in the exhaust port.
I leave the exhaust port nuts very loose, until I get all other pieces of the pipes lined up and tightened (making sure the port flange is as flat in the exhaust port as possible).

Yep, I've fitted loads of headers with these gaskets before, never had a problem. Bike is brand spanking, ports are clean, old gasket totally removed. Strange to have this problem this time.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:35 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Never a problem, like RoMo said...

Old 07-21-2014, 04:03 PM
eqcons
Tourer

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
Never a problem, like RoMo said...
Correct. Until now.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:04 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo

fwiw, I do just the opposite, I mount the pipe(s) and brackets making sure everything is aligned and hanging properly, tighten everything just before snug, (leaving a little play) so that I can make sure the flange(s) are properly in the port(s), tighten the port flange(s) all the way (drawing them down a little at a time, side to side, head to head) then tighten the rest of the fasteners, working the way back from the heads.

With this method, it should be evident if the pipe is "tweeked"

I've always used the Evo/SE type gaskets without issue.

Using two gaskets is backing up

Last edited by FlaHeatWave; 07-21-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:38 PM
BIGRED1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tightening sequence is so important Bro.
If I remember correctly from the directions; Set the front pipe in place, pull back a little bit to the rear, push the pipe/exhaust ring into place. Then follow tightening sequence.
I put that into my own words but, it should be close.
Good luck Bro.
Roger

Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by eqcons
I've fitted a set of V&H Power Duals, and I cannot get the front port to stop leaking. V&H supply the Evo/SE type gasket, and even trying with two of these in the ports the front still leaks. The shape of the V&H header where it goes into the port is a little different to other headers, so I'm wondering if I can use the standard TC gasket, which, although it's not recommended by V&H stands a better chance of sealing I hope.

Anyone used the standard TC gasket with V&H headers successfully?
When I installed my VHDDs I used a new OEM gasket and it sealed just fine.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:32 PM
dynhd1
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGRED1
Tightening sequence is so important Bro.
If I remember correctly from the directions; Set the front pipe in place, pull back a little bit to the rear, push the pipe/exhaust ring into place. Then follow tightening sequence.
I put that into my own words but, it should be close.
Good luck Bro.
Roger

Old 07-21-2014, 08:57 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Asked the shop about SE gaskets, they don't recommend them. In the past I've used the stock tapered gaskets several times over and never had a leak but I have a spare set just in case.

Quick Reply: Problem with V&H Power Duals