Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please advise: '06 FXD to older Electra Glide or Road Glide - dealers uninterested

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014 | 11:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by balingwire
Thank you for all of the advice. I love the Dyna, but I'm a fan of basic bikes, so I've yet to find Dyna with bags or a rack that I like, and most of us are pretty picky about the way our bike looks to us. I like a solo seat on the Dyna, and no add-ons, including no windshield. Although those add-on make it more functional, I just can't get past what is does to the overall lines of the bike, but that's just me. For me, if I'm needing those things regularly, which I do now, I'd rather just go to a bike that has these things in it's design, like the EG or RG, and I can see where the fairing would be nice on the interstate. I'll start my research on what bikes like mine are going for and go from there. Thank you.
For the sake of a set of bags and a windshield, both of which can be quick detachable, you can stay with your own bike! Stop being precious about it and get over what it looks like when in 'working' mode, as you can ensure it still looks good when in 'leisure' mode, including changing seats if you prefer. Harley used to make a Dyna 'Convertible', which was designed exactly for that dual role.

Old 07-21-2014 | 09:56 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member

I agree with a lot of above - sell yours privately but craigs list may not be your best bet - don't fall for the "I'll sell your bike for $300" scam! I've had success with ebay 'local classifieds' - free within 200 miles, which is all anyone would travel realistically for that kind of bike. nadaguides also says your bike is worth between $5,920 and $7,790. I'd get the newest touring bike you can for that price - road kings are probably less expensive than electra glides but you give up the radio. I'm also in the 'no test rides' camp. good luck with your new job and new bike...

Old 07-28-2014 | 02:18 PM
balingwire
|
Advanced

mkguitar and grbrown probably gave the most practical advice. I've been looking at saddlebags since I first wrote this thread, looked at them on my uncle's Shovelhead LowRider, and almost had myself talked into some from Bad G Customs, then I looked at how clean the lines are with the solo seat and nothing hanging off the fender, and backed off the bags again. I know that they're practical, but bags on a Dyna just remind me of fender skirts on an old Mustang - you can get them and put them on it, but it just doesn't look right...to me. The way bags cover the rear wheel, they give a fender skirt visual effect to me, and I just can't get past it yet. I like the looks of bags on the touring bikes ok since they came that way.
I'm still trying to work it all out - probably will wind up shutting up, getting a swing arm bag and a tool bag and going with less in the name of vanity. I put the bike up for sale, but not optimistic. Joe12K, that is a great-looking FXS.

Old 07-28-2014 | 03:47 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

Choices choices.

Option 1.Keep the Dyna and get some shocks and a set of Leather Pro's T Sport bags.
http://leatherpros.com/website1_003.htm

Option 2. Sell the Dyna and get a bagger. Option will cost more any way you toss it. I have had a Dyna (FXDXT) , a softail, sporty and several baggers. I prefer the bagger but it is bigger and heavier. I enjoy the stereo, tour pack, and ultimate comfort on the road although the Dyna handled much better. I msut be getting older...