Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a 2014 Street Glide & I am not that happy about it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 05:51 AM
OU812
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Teufel_Hunden
I bought a new 2014 SGS two days ago and bought some touring stuff (back rest, etc) for my wife to ride. Our last bike was a 2008 Rocker C. We loved the looks and had the V&H Big Radius pipes that sounded pretty good, but it was not good for trips. I stayed with V&H and got the Twin Slash Rounds (4") and put those on yesterday. Put the bike back together and got cleaned up for a night out. When we started the bike, I was not impressed at all. I could hardly tell the difference between the V&H vs the stock muffler. My wife was not impressed either. My rocker had V&H, but it was a different pipe. I was thinking the Twin Slash must be for old people but I can't find evidence of this on the net, so maybe not. We drove to downtown Nashville and I felt like I was riding around on a goldwing. My other bike was not loud enough for my liking, but this one seems so sad.

I looked on the net and talked to the parts counter. Apparently, my rocker had Catalytic Converters in the mufflers I replaced. I guess I need to spend another grand or more on "Cat-less" headers, Harley's Stage one kit, & some sort of tuner. Prior to buying all that stuff (down the road), what can I do to give this bike a little more sound now without spending so much?

Horse Power & Torque are nice, but sound is my primary goal for now. I will buy all that stuff at some point, but till then, what will help the most?
Try a new header pipe from FullSac and a set of Rinehart slipons

Old 07-19-2014, 06:04 AM
mdanehart
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I also purchased a 14 SG, I added the Screamin Eagle Street Cannons w/black tips, SE/KN air cleaner and the download from the dealer. I have a friend who has a 2012 SG with a over priced custom exhaust, he gave me his stock headpipe. It was an easy job to remove the cat and weld.
This bike runs great and with a very deep exhaust note. Its not a race monster like my former 2007 113 CI, but real happy with the outcome!

Old 07-19-2014, 06:16 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

You know, it's not all about sounds with a touring bike. You'll actually get tired of loud pipes after a few hundred miles of deafening noise. Enjoy the features of your new scooter and let the other things come later...

Old 07-19-2014, 06:22 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
You know, it's not all about sounds with a touring bike. You'll actually get tired of loud pipes after a few hundred miles of deafening noise. Enjoy the features of your new scooter and let the other things come later...

I'll never understand the "Noise for the sake of noise" mentality....
I like to make them run as strong as possible with as little noise as is necessary to get the correct flow through the pipe.

When I hear guys talking about their pipes not being loud enough....I just assume that they're morons and walk away.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:27 AM
Mirnldi@gmail.com
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Get a stock decatted head pipe or get a new head pipe. You will notice a difference in sound. I did. Sounds much better.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:41 AM
logical
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If all you want is to be noticed, have her lift her shirt....or turn the radio up.

I put V&H Monster Ovals on my SGS specifically because they get you better flow with minimal extra noise...just a nice low tone. I want to hear the tunes, not my exhaust.

Last edited by logical; 07-19-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:58 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to open a can of worms, but if you want the most out of it you really need a new header. Removing the cat on a stock header will help tremendously with the sound and heat reduction, but won't do much for performance. It's a band-aid fix at best. I went that way for a while and just recently installed a V&H Power Dual header and had it dyno tuned by Ed at The Dyno Difference in Dallas. He has no use for the de-catted head pipe because it puts the O2 sensors so close together and they're so close to that now huge open cat chamber that they can't separate the front and rear signals as they should. If finances permit, you'd be better off skipping the de-catted OEM pipe and jumping up to a "real" header. And for what it's worth, the mufflers I chose to go with the V&H pipe were 4" Big Louies with a 2" baffle. Together they have that great HD sound, but at cruise they pretty much fade into the background. I just finished a 3,200 mile ride and couldn't be happier with them.

Ride Safe

David

Old 07-19-2014, 07:27 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 605 Likes on 440 Posts

You want sound and performance. Chalk the V&H up to a learning experience, Pull the entire exhaust off. Sell the V&H's and get a D&D Fat Cat 2-1 pipe with the performance baffle. You'll like it.

Last edited by heavymetalthunder; 07-19-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:29 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 242 Likes on 157 Posts

You dealer must suck. 1., they did not offer to let you hear the pipes on other bikes 2. They should let you swap them out if you had them one day.

I drilled out my cat and debaffled the stock mufflers. Open you door and listen while I start it, cost $0. Well $10 for the long spade bit.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:34 AM
Elmicko
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want the bike loud, you're not going to be happy until you remove the cat. I'm perfectly happy with mine now that I added slip ons from http://www.superflowmufflers.com. Louder than stock and now instead of the smooth import sound of the stock mufflers it has the pop pop pop that a Harley should have.

Quick Reply: Bought a 2014 Street Glide & I am not that happy about it.