Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission/Clutch problems only when hot!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 10:11 AM
dhinson907
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission/Clutch problems only when hot!!!

My 2014 ultra limited is not wanting to down shift out of 3 when I stop I have to up shift and re down shift it. The other day it started grinding when I tried to put it in first gear on the down shift. This problem only happens when I ride over 150miles at a time when the bike is cold it shifts like butter but when it gets hot watch out. I'm running Spectro 6 speed gear oil in the tranny because the Harley syn was crap. Has anyone else had this issue???? It has 3200 miles on the bike.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,971 Likes on 4,163 Posts

it's not the lube. Transmission lube has nothing to do with your problem. It's in primary. It's your clutch adjustment. Make sure you have a little freeplay at lever were it closes on mount. Do not back it totaly off. Now cold, set the backoff of the clutch behind the derby cover to the manual or speck on what clutch you are running. Be sure to crank it in past no play by a couple turns to smooth thread and lever it to insure you are starting at no free play when you do back of. Now lock it (not inch lb torque..not too tight..fine threads will not come loose.. I just bump mine with my palm) and then adjust lever free play to minimum spec with cable. Now do the clutch and look at the space of the clutch driven and drive disk and make sure you see then move apart. Your problem will be gone.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-16-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:36 AM
dhinson907
Novice

Harley told me since it's a hydraulic clutch it doesn't have an adjustment.??

Old 07-16-2014, 10:39 AM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dhinson907
That is true...all 2014 Touring Fairing bikes have the hydraulic clutch.

To you inquiry....I don't think any H-D will downshift to 1st from 3rd while stopped without playing with the clutch lever through each downshift. I would suggest finding 1st before coming to a complete stop.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,971 Likes on 4,163 Posts

Sorry, was not sure what you had. My post is all wrong for yours. Are you trying to shift after stopping?

Old 07-16-2014, 10:55 AM
dhinson907
Novice

No I'm trying to down shift normally

Old 07-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Something definitely not right. More than likely requires just an adjustment. It's under warranty. Take it to your dealer and let them sort it out.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:08 AM
tsigwing
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

On other bikes I would have to let the clutch out just a little before I could continue to down shift if sitting still.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:39 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,781 Likes on 11,578 Posts

My 2014 ultra limited is not wanting to down shift out of 3 when I stop I have to up shift and re down shift it. The other day it started grinding when I tried to put it in first gear on the down shift. This problem only happens when I ride over 150miles at a time when the bike is cold it shifts like butter but when it gets hot watch out. I'm running Spectro 6 speed gear oil in the tranny because the Harley syn was crap. Has anyone else had this issue???? It has 3200 miles on the bike.
Although your post is confusing, something is not right. So, without question on bikes in Warranty take it to the dealer. This also gives future evidence of an issue when out of warranty.

Also, what is your basis for stating "Harley syn was crisp"? What was your experience?

Old 07-16-2014, 11:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

If I have read your post correctly, other than in exceptional circumstances (such as a panic stop) you shouldn't be stopping in third gear. I've just got in from a day's ride and never failed to be in first or neutral (depending on traffic) by the time I was stationary. Having said that, it is worth visiting your service department and getting them to confirm that all is well with your clutch settings. If you plan on keeping your bike for a long while it is worth getting the service manual while you are there, then you can put us right on the correct procedure for adjusting the hydraulic clutch!

Quick Reply: Transmission/Clutch problems only when hot!!!