Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade value !!!!! really

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 05:19 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
seems like a fair price to me...they have to service the bike and get it ready to sell. then they have to floor plan it, pay the salesman, the finance guy, the sales manager, etc.. they all get a little of the pie. you have a nearly 5 year old bike, and you are getting around half(maybe more) of what it sold for new.
does not sound un-reasonable offer from a dealer. ppl are going to have to accept that harleys dont hold value like they used to. the market is beyond flooded with new and used bikes. we are the reason for it not them. they are in it to make money. ppl are letting them have their bike for dirt cheap and they sell new one at premium prices or even a used one.
traded in my 11 SG w/ around 30k,then the dealer sold it for 20,500.... i only paid $20,000 for it new.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:24 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

fair offer. slightly above KBB trade-in. sell it yourself for a couple grand more if you really want a '14.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:29 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
fair offer. slightly above KBB trade-in. sell it yourself for a couple grand more if you really want a '14.
^^Ditto^^

They offered a fair TIV so why would that be a problem?

Old 07-16-2014, 05:48 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

...when a dealer hits you with a trade-in offer...it's the exact moment you realize just how overpriced these are when new!....

Old 07-16-2014, 06:07 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also keep in mind, the trade value is worth more dollar for dollar than selling out right because you only pay taxes on the the price diff of the 2 bikes when trading instead of total price of new one.

with my local tax rate if new was $24,000 i would have to sell the 2010 for over $1000 more myself just to break even and not mention the time and hassle to try to sell it on your own. they make it quick and easy and we pay for convience

Old 07-16-2014, 06:14 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OP-someone who steals from you is a thief...hence, the stealer/thief reference. you called the guy a stealer, so you must mean he is a thief/crook. a modern dealership is a multi-million dollar investment with huge monthly expenses. they are not in business to lose money. they would like to make a nice living, pay off the mortgage, put money in the bank, and eventually retire.

to most motorcycle buyers, their purchase is just another toy(things you buy with your disposable income)...boat, snowmobile, golf cart, classic car, second home, rolex watch, the list is endless. hopefully, you did not buy your motorcycle as an investment. the difference between trade-in value and re-sale is where the dealer makes money/profit to cover his overhead. as i said, don't like the offer then just move on--no need to call the dealer names.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:43 AM
SSJ
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
OP-someone who steals from you is a thief...hence, the stealer/thief reference. you called the guy a stealer, so you must mean he is a thief/crook. a modern dealership is a multi-million dollar investment with huge monthly expenses. they are not in business to lose money. they would like to make a nice living, pay off the mortgage, put money in the bank, and eventually retire.

to most motorcycle buyers, their purchase is just another toy(things you buy with your disposable income)...boat, snowmobile, golf cart, classic car, second home, rolex watch, the list is endless. hopefully, you did not buy your motorcycle as an investment. the difference between trade-in value and re-sale is where the dealer makes money/profit to cover his overhead. as i said, don't like the offer then just move on--no need to call the dealer names.
This^^^
Harley dealers are no different than any other business This is America people have a choice, don't like the dealer or product move on to another...

Old 07-16-2014, 06:45 AM
SSJ
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Double post

Last edited by SSJ; 07-16-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:13 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by wrenchguy24
Lots of people on hear say STEALER and I Didn't call them A THIEF
It's all in the context, re-read post 1, and when it is capitalized, it sure sounds to me like you are calling them a thief, ESPECIALLY since you are pissed off about their offer.. I use the term stealer myself, but don't emphasize it.

And Harleys aren't over-priced when new, all brand are taking a hit on trade in.... hell, cars and trucks too. My Cadillac took a 20k hit less than a year old.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:33 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,633 Likes on 1,165 Posts

Originally Posted by Webo
...it won't sell how is that helping them... Don't get it!
Dealers make enough on sales for new bikes, merchandise, parts, service, finance, extended warranty, rentals, riding classes, insurance, etc.

Used bike sales, that's gravy.

Quick Reply: Trade value !!!!! really