Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exploring power upgrades can't decide

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 06:37 PM
D W K
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Exploring power upgrades can't decide

I know there is a search feature but the possibilites are endless.

I have a 2012 Street Glide with RC headers, Arlen Ness Big Sucker and wild pig slip ons. I have a PC 5 and right now I believe my tune is out of whack.

We rode to and around the Ozark mountians this last week and my surge is really bad in 4th, 5th and 6th gears if I go 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and try to roll into the power. If I go WOT it pulls but sounds like an old carb car with the breather flipped over. I have checked everything suggested and come up with nothing left to check except the tune.
My fuel mileage is way down and a stock 2014 SG was way better economy and pulled hills in taller gear than me. My right rear slip on is seriously discolored where it meets the head pipe.

I called Fuel Moto today and ordered a Auto tune and they are sending me a new base line map to see if that helps but I am serioulsy considering a different build.

My style of riding is often 2 up on flat lands (Sea level) but also tour around different parts of the country. I am not looking to pull the front wheels, but I would serioulsy like some more grunt from around 2200 RPMs and up. I dont often blast to the rev limiter, but I also do not want a bike that pulls really hard to 4000 and falls on it face either.

Anyways after all of these issues I have been seriously considering a big bore of some sort. I like the Fuel Moto 107 kit, but I am not sure if I need that and if I choose that do I want the TW 222 cams or the TW 555 cams?

Or do I just want the cams and go from there? Or should I look at another supplier? Is the 103 to 107 build worth it?

OK, I know, Lots of info in this post but I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Last edited by D W K; 07-16-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:51 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

My style of riding is often 2 up on flat lands (Seal level) but also tour around different parts of the country. I am not looking to pull the front wheels, but I would serioulsy like some more grunt from around 2200 RPMs and up.
255 cams can be found cheap and will give you the grunt you want down low, the 255 cams and a good tune are hard to beat. IMHO

Old 07-15-2014, 12:00 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

The 103 is fine. And like someone said the SE255 cam will deliver a lot of low end torque for 2 up riding. So will the SE 204. But low end doesn't mean "low speed". A SE255 holds peak torque from 2500 thru to about 4000rpm. In 3rd 4000 is about 60mph and in 5th gear that's about 90mph. Almost all of your riding will be a lot less than that. 75mph in 6th is about 2900rpm.

As for the tune. I'm a firm believer is getting a bike tuned by a qualified dyno tuner. No self/auto/smart/ tuner has the capability to measure power output in order to refine a tune. Without those it's just a guesswork thing.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:17 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd talk with Fuelmoto about cams and your ride style. Look at the dyno sheets that FM has for cams with 103 and 107 builds- see where you want to go....

Old 07-15-2014, 05:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Talking

Be warned - you may be at the top of a very slippery, slippery slope! Be assured that if you improve performance a bit you will soon get used to it, then find you are going around the same cycle again - then again. Some of us have already trodden that route.

Stage 1 stuff is simple enough to do and understand the merit of, however as soon as you start thinking of opening up the engine the options mushroom. Did you know that FM do a nice little 117" conversion? Should meet most needs and gets it all done in one go.......

Old 07-15-2014, 05:24 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

personally i would dyno over auto tuning. i have been both routes. yes auto tune works but ther is still power to be desired w/ auto tuning. the right dyno guy can get you much more out of your bike. i think cams and a tune would be a good start. i was kinda torn between cams and a big bore. went cams and tune and extremely happy with results. personally i not a fan of the 255 cams for my style but many swear by them. FM would be great source to find the best cam for your style.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:44 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Andrew's 21's come on right off idle, and are good to 4800 or so

Old 07-15-2014, 07:46 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,019 Likes on 22,556 Posts

Change cams, get a good dyno tune!!

Nothin' wrong with your PC-V either IMO.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:12 AM
tsigwing
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure where in Texas you are, but if you can get to Dallas, you should get to the dyno difference.

Bought my bike used and it had been modified with a stage 1 and had a SERT and was not running right. Had dead spots and hesitation. Ed cleared all of that up and it runs outstanding now, the way it should. Best money I have ever invested in a vehicle.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:31 AM
hog.ryder
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I will second getting a good dyno tune and Ed at The Dyno Difference is top notch.

http://www.thedynodifference.com/

Also, if your looking at motor upgrades there is a good source in Ft. Worth, AMS Motomachine and supply.

http://amsmotomachine.com/index.php/hdparts#engkits

Quick Reply: Exploring power upgrades can't decide