Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross-over line help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014 | 08:20 PM
ThisIsMe
|
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cross-over line help

I originally had a braided stainless steel crossover line upgrade (HD part # 63698-02) on my 07 Ultra. A couple of years back I did the DK tank lift on the bike. Unfortunately I could not reuse he braided line as it was too short. I used the rubber hose supplied in the DK kit.

I later tried a Russel braided hose 10" but learned the hard way it appears that the touring bikes require a 5/16 compression fitting to attach to the tanks while all the other HDs use a 1/4 compression.

A small minor issue but with the tank lift I think I would like the looks of the braided hose even more so. Does anyone know where I can source such a 5/16 crossover about 10 inches or so?

Thanks.

PS HD braided crossover and the Russel crossover sitting on the shelf waiting for offers.

Old 07-14-2014 | 08:17 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

I don't know if this will help but I saw a DIY in the "tips and DIY" section on making a braided stainless steel crossover line. Like I said not sure if it will help but might be something to think about.

Old 07-14-2014 | 09:29 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Go to Summit racing and get yourself some JiffyTite fittings. They have stop valves inside that close when disconnected. You'll forever be able to remove your tank without draining the gas.

Old 07-14-2014 | 07:04 PM
ThisIsMe
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Crashone
I don't know if this will help but I saw a DIY in the "tips and DIY" section on making a braided stainless steel crossover line. Like I said not sure if it will help but might be something to think about.
Thanks Crashone I was not able to find one for the crossover. Found one for the vent but not the crossover. Strange as it sounds I cannot find a nice quality 5/16 compression fitting for the life of me. Plenty of brass and plastic, but nothing if I wanted to make my own.

Strange, I always say "If you think of something for a Harley, it is surel out there" Yet here I am stuck with a simple crossover.

Old 07-14-2014 | 07:05 PM
ThisIsMe
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Go to Summit racing and get yourself some JiffyTite fittings. They have stop valves inside that close when disconnected. You'll forever be able to remove your tank without draining the gas.

Excellent idea on the quick disconnect. Always a hurdle with draining the fuel.

I could incorporate such and found the right parts, but still need the 5/16 compression of I was t make my own.

Old 07-17-2014 | 01:15 PM
Boston Tom MN
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone researching tank removal may find this info helpful. My 98 Ultra has a fuel line crossover running under the backbone and connecting two metal nipples, one on each side on the underside of the tank. It's located near the front of the tank and the tank cannot be removed without disconnecting it. It'd be best if you can start with a dry tank, but if you're unlucky like I was it'll be near full. There is no standard "safety" or "stop valve" to keep gas from coming out when it's unhooked. As soon as you disconnect one end of the crossover line or the other if you aren't ready you're getting a gas bath from two directions at once, both from the end of the crossover line and from the nipple you just pulled it off of. Since I'm old I did it the old fashioned way. I have a few empty jugs handy and a big funnel. Get the jug in place, pull the line and direct the flow into the funnel while plugging the nipple with your finger. When the jug fills quickly replace the crossover and unhurriedly get another jug ready. While you're doing this the two halves of the tank are equalizing or the fuel level is balancing itself out. After a minute pull the line off again, plug the metal nipple as before and drain the line into the next jug. Repeat the process as many times as you need till the line runs dry. Then drain the nipple, but it'll only take a minute. Presto, empty tank.